Author Topic: how to compile c project using a linux makefile on slickedit plus cygwin?  (Read 12111 times)

abcd

I use slickedit developing c project on windows xp. The project is to be run on linux. Now the compile is done on linux using makefile, but it's not effective to find and correct the compile errors.
Is it possible that compile it using the linux makefile base on slickedit plus CygWin on windows xp?
Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:18:46 AM by abcd »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: how to compile c project using a linux makefile on slickedit plus cygwin?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »
Both ways are fine. E.g. using rsh or much better PuTTY->plink you can do a remote build. Preferably you should just mount the (remote) source tree on your windows machine but ftp access is also possible.
If you get a (cygwin based) cross-compiler/debugger for your target architecture/machine you can use your windows machine for linux development in a very convenient way.
Good luck, HS2

abcd

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:35:29 AM »
HS2, Thank you for your kind help!

Is it possible using makefile for linux directly to compile project on windows slickedit plus CygWin?If possible, could your tell me how to setting it, to make I can build the project directly in slickedit by select menu "build"->"build", and I can relocate the compile error directly on slickedit?

Regards,
abcd.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:02:40 AM »
Yes, it's possible to use the Linux makefiles in a Windows hosted cygwin environment w/o any change.
Depending on how the makefiles are written a few adoptions might be needed.
If you just wanna use your exisiting makefiles as 'external makefiles' it's ok to setup a generic C/C++ project. In case you also want integrated gdb debugging I'd propose to setup a 'GNU C/C++' project (e.g. using the GNU C/C++ Wizard).
The default error parser configuration already covers the GNU toolchain. Maybe double-check 'Build>Error parsing configuration'.
It's a good idea to add your cross-compiler to the the list of compilers to get proper tagging support for your cross SDK (compiler/system headers/libs etc.) and select it for your project as well.

HS2