Author Topic: SlickEdit Code in Debugger mode  (Read 8146 times)

tomerk

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit Code in Debugger mode
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I am using SlickEdit Core on Metaware IDE (based on eclipse 3.3.1)
it is great editor, but the problem is when using it as a debugger.
before installing SlickEdit core, in the debugger I could do the following:
1. hover with the mouse over variables and see their values in tooltip
2. have right button menu option of "Add Watch expression" when I am standing or selecting a variable

instead I no longer have those options, and i have the SlickEdit right click menu, which is mostly not relevant or not in use while debugging.
what's more i have 2 more problems:
1. when I switch a certain file to "Switch to C/C++ Editor" , where i have those 2 options mentioned above, i can not do step by step debugging since it switch my file back to "Slickedit" view where i cannot hover.
what's more is that when i do a break point, the "SlickEdit" view shows me the top of the file instead of showing me where the breakpoint was. when i do step by step then it jump to the correct location.

if it is not possible to fix this issues ASAP, i would like to have an option to stop the SlickEdit Core plug-in, when i am in debugging view, and enable it only when i am C/C++ perspective

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: SlickEdit Code in Debugger mode
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:42:40 PM »
I am using SlickEdit Core on Metaware IDE (based on eclipse 3.3.1)

And are you using Core 3.3.1 or Core 3.4.0?  Even though it's not an officially supported (compatible) configuration, we do have customers who use the latest version of the plug-in in an older version of Eclipse.  Each version has different capabilities so I just need to know what you are working with.

1. hover with the mouse over variables and see their values in tooltip

This one is an outstanding feature request on our tracker, but most likely won't be fixed until the next major release.  I think the best workaround I can suggest for this one is that if you have the Variables view open you can always see the values of your locals.

2. have right button menu option of "Add Watch expression" when I am standing or selecting a variable

If you are using Core 3.4.0 then you should be able to leverage _eclipse_execute_command as described at http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3549.0 in order to expose this.  Once you have the command created you can add it to the context menu in the editor.  I'd be happy to do most of the work for you on this, but I'm not sure which version of Core you are using.

...instead I no longer have those options, and i have the SlickEdit right click menu, which is mostly not relevant or not in use while debugging.

Seems like there are 3 commands that are added to that menu during debugging: Run to line, Resume at line, and Add watch expression.  We have feature requests for implementing the first 2, but I'll file an additional one to also add all of these commands to the editor's context menu when in the Debug perspective.

what's more is that when i do a break point, the "SlickEdit" view shows me the top of the file instead of showing me where the breakpoint was. when i do step by step then it jump to the correct location.

I'm working on fixing this one for 3.4.0 but I need to know what version of the plug-in you are working with so I can get you a compatible fix.  Thanks.

- Ryan