Author Topic: Export settings; moving to new platform  (Read 5616 times)

Christoph

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Export settings; moving to new platform
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
I'm moving from Windows to Fedora and I have a ton of custom settings/macros/toolbars on my current installation.  I know I can't just copy everything in my "My SlickEdit Config" directory between operating systems.  Looking through all the menu options, I don't see anything that I can use to export settings.  Am I just missing it?  Does something like this exist within SE itself?  If not, is there something else I can use?  It would take me forever to configure the linux install to match my windows install so I'm hoping to avoid that if I can.

Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated!

thnx,
Christoph

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: Export settings; moving to new platform
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

Here is what I would recommend.  It's not a terriric solution, but it will get you pretty far.

First, you can safely copy over your custom macro source code and the following components of your windows configuration directory directly into your a clean unix configuration directory:

Code: [Select]
   *.als
   ftp.ini
   lastmac*.e
   ubox.ini
   user.vlx
   usercpp.h
   uscheme.ini
   uformat.ini
   formatschemes/*.xml
   keybindings/*.xml
   templates/

The "meat" of the windows configuration directory is in vusrdefs.e, vusrmacs.e, vusrobjs.e.  On Unix, these files would be named "vunxdefs.e, vunxmacs.e, and vunxobjs.e"

Starting with the last one first, vusrdefs.e contains your toolbar definitions and user defined forms.  It's a Slick-C batch file, so you can just run it as such (using the "xcom" command from the SlickEdit command line).

vusrmacs.e is your recorded and saved macros.  This one you could rename to vunxmacs.e and then use Macro > Load Module... to load the macros into memory.

Finally, vusrdefs.e, this is the trickiest one.  It contains all your SlickEdit options and settings, some of which are Windows specific, and many of which contain path information that just won't work in unix-world.  You will need to pore over this and jetison the parts that look like trouble.  Then you would be able to run it as a batch file and this will apply the majority of your settings for you.

This should get you off the ground.  Yes, it's not the smoothest of smooth, but migrating configurations between platforms is actually something that comes up pretty rarely.  We are busy working on better ways for users to share configuration settings for a future release.  [Please don't ask when, I'm not allowed to say.]

Christoph

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
Here is what I would recommend.  It's not a terriric solution, but it will get you pretty far.
The "meat" of the windows configuration directory is in vusrdefs.e, vusrmacs.e, vusrobjs.e.  On Unix, these files would be named "vunxdefs.e, vunxmacs.e, and vunxobjs.e"
Ok, I'd like to make sure I'm clear about something...  Do I have to copy the windows versions of those files over the unix versions (ie, copy vusrmacs.e to vunxmacs.e) then import?  I tried just copying the vusrmacs.e and import but all it did was create a file called vusrmacs.ex (in the same directory) and my settings seemed to be unaffected.

Starting with the last one first, vusrdefs.e contains your toolbar definitions and user defined forms.
You meant to say vusrobjs.e here, yes?

thnx,
Christoph

Christoph

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Ok, I think I was able to get almost all of my settings over to the linux install.  I'm quite the (mostly) happy camper.  The only thing that didn't seem to come over is my file/project settings.  I set up a new project type for PHP projects but that didn't seem to make it over when I pulled in vunxdefs.e, vunxmacs.e or vunxobjs.e (previously vusrdevs.e, vusrmacs.e and vusrobjs.e respectively).  Are the project type settings in a seperate file?

thnx,
Christoph

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
Those three files are batch files, so you just run them from the SlickEdit command line.  Review the Slick-C programming manual in the help if you are unfamiliar with how batch files work in SlickEdit.

Yes, that was supposed to be vusrobjs.e.

Custom project templates are in usrprjtemplates.vpt.  Language specific project templates are stored in uproject.vpe.  Another you might wanna copy over, maybe, is uservc.slk, which has your custom source control system definitions.