Author Topic: MakeFile/vsbuild ??  (Read 6407 times)

lars magne

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
MakeFile/vsbuild ??
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:38:37 am »
I'm working in the windows XP envoirement writing firmware for different microcontrollers (on standard ANSI c).
Up to now we have been used development kits with built-in IDE and make facilities for the actual MCU's.
Now we want to standardize on the SlickEdit IDE and setting up a make/build for all our MCU's trough this IDE. 

Can somebody give me some ideas on what method/tool to choose (external/internal), to execute my compilers from SlickEdit using the project and workspace facilities in slickedit????

My basic need is to execute a target cross-compiler/assemble/linker and compile updated files.
It would be nice to have a tool that could scan my c files and create decencies based in the include files.

I have tried to set up vsbuild from the Build tool in the project properties in SlickEdit (without the GNU configuration, since my compilers are not based on GNU!?), with the following parameters:
vsbuild %r -t Build (found in the examples from vsbuild command line output)
Then I've got the error message: Cannot specify vsbuild as build tool without specifying an operation
Where can I find explanation for these error messages???

How does vsbuild actualy work?

Is there other, easy to use, and documented, make tools available that fits together with Slickedit, running under windows (without installing another programming language, to run it)??

Ragards
Lars Magne

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
Re: MakeFile/vsbuild ??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:22:51 pm »
Check this thread http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=169.0
There are some more related threads -> try the 'Search' facility

HS2

BobK

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:05:28 pm »
I am trying to set up SlickEdit for seamless building of embedded software using third party compilers, similar to the original poster.

Does anyone know how vsbuild works? I can find very little documentation.

Also, when configuring custom tools in the project properties, it appears that tools with specifc "tool names" have some sort of hard-coded built in functionality (such as "Build"), whereas new ones added (for example "Test") behave differently with identical options. Sometimes this is evident in the checkbox options that are enabled in the dialog, but not always. Does anyone know if there is any documentation that explains this?

I modified the "Build" command and also created a new "Test" command that both call a batch file that processes my build externally, running in the "Build" window so I can see the progress. Using the "Build" command runs slower than the "Test" command even though both are configured the same. Looking at the output when the command launches, the "Build" variant seems to call "vsbuild" with some type of "-signalport" parameters (undocumented) but "Test does not. Why? what configures this? what else is it doing?

Embedded processor tools (i.e. 8/16-bit) generally have poor IDE's comparatively and it would be very nice if SlickEdit were more friendly and better documented to configure for such applications, rather than the focus of Windows/PC based development. This includes usage of the vsbuild utility to avoid the need for external build/dependency checking tools.

Bob

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:25 pm »
Bob, please email me at swestfall@slickedit.com and send me your phone number. I'd like to call you and discuss what you need and some possible solutions in the short-term. We are working to improve the documentation, but we haven't gotten to vsbuild, yet. I do think that can be improved, and we are very interested in doing what we need to do to support the embedded development community. We will have a booth at Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose in April, so you can see this is an important area to us--though one we are a little less familiar with. ;) If you are going, please stop by and say, "hi". I'll be there!

If anyone else is doing similar work, please email me with your contact info so I can get your input as well. Thanks.

--Scott

jchick

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:15:34 pm »
I like to use external custom GNU makefiles and set SE up to call make, passing the appropiate information like configuration. This lets me do an automated builds via scripts and I still get full IDE support. I'm not keen on tying any project to a particular IDE. I like the fact that SE gives us a choice internal/external and it works flawless.