Author Topic: Compiling and debugging on a remote machine  (Read 3513 times)

erezzi

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Compiling and debugging on a remote machine
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:17:45 am »
Hi,

I'm running slickedit on my Linux desktop. My home directory is also mounted on another machine where I compile my code and run it. Can I compile/debug the program on the remote from slickedit that runs on the local machine? How?

Thanks,
Erez

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 284
Re: Compiling and debugging on a remote machine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:19:57 pm »
Have a look at this thread and/or just try searching the forums for 'remote devel' or 'remote build'.
Good luck, HS2

erezzi

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:39:18 am »
Looks like I have another problem here - I followed the explanations in the links, but when I run it, it just prints the command itself (plink ...) in the "Build" tab and that's all. Even if I setup it to run the 'make' command on my local machine, I don't see any output. I see that the "Capture output" & "Output to build window" check boxes in Project properties/Tools/Build are checked.

BTW - if I run the same command from a normal shell, it runs perfectly.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Erez

hs2

• Hero Points: 284
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:26 pm »
Strange.. no idea why this happens ???
One more thing to check is the def_linux1_shell variable. See e.g. this posting for some details.
Sorry, HS2

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:19 pm »
Hi.

This is how I do it. I have just reread the thread and realized that everything I have typed is redundant but hey I'll post anyway ;)

--

In the tools configuration where is says for the build something like "make -C %rp/products/mogripserver all_%(BUILD_SUFFIX)" try doing something like "ssh user@machine make -C %rp/products/mogripserver all_%(BUILD_SUFFIX)".

Make sure that your authorized key file is the .ssh directory is setup to allow automagic login.

When editing on windows and building on linux I do something similar. The build line in the tools looks like:

bash c:\data\projects\stuff\buildProduct.sh %rp/products/meshoperatorserver all_%(BUILD_SUFFIX)

where c:\data\projects\stuff\buildProduct.sh is

ssh gbarron@rd-gbarron-linux make -i -C $(echo "$1\.. $2" | sed -e 's~\\~/~g' -e 's#M\:#~#g')

The echo through sed is required to convert the back slashes to forward slashed and to replace the drive letter with ~, thus ending up with the correct command (ssh gbarron@rd-gbarron-linux make -i -C ~/mo/software/products/meshoperatorserver all_lx).

If the cygwin binaries are in the path it all work like a charm.

erezzi

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:07 am »
Thanks hs2. The problem was that vslick thought that the shell is tcsh (instead of bash).

Thanks,
Erez