Author Topic: Quick Extract Method in Java  (Read 7610 times)

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Quick Extract Method in Java
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:51:15 PM »
I am trying to use the Quick Extract Method feature in a Java file.  When I select my lines of code and then right-click and pick "Quick Extract Method", the C/C++ Compiler Properties dialog displays.  As I have no C/C++ compilers on my system, it has no default configuration, and I cannot proceed.

What's the proper setup here for a Java-only environment?

I can create a new configuration (called rsf-test) and pick a C++ header file from the available ones, but if I then try to run the feature, I get screwy results.  Sometimes the method will be successfully extracted, but sometimes SlickEdit will just hang, using 100% of CPU.  Is that because I don' t have an actual C/C++ compiler, or is this feature just a bit buggy for Java?

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Quick Extract Method in Java
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:41:25 PM »
Hey Rob.

Thanks for the problem report(s).

The issue with the C/C++ Compiler Configuration dialog coming up is a known bug.  It traces back to the fact that the original refactoring work was done for C++ and we used some shared routines to check if everything was initialized up front.  This will be fixed in the next version of SlickEdit.  Your work-around of creating a fake compiler configuration and making it the default should get you around this obstacle.

With respect to the hang -- we have not seen this problem.  I recommend that you send a reproducable example into SlickEdit support if you see any such problem again with Quick Extract Method.

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
With respect to the hang -- we have not seen this problem.  I recommend that you send a reproducable example into SlickEdit support if you see any such problem again with Quick Extract Method.

I've found a very minimalist situation that fails.  Check this out:

Code: [Select]
public class ExtractMethodFails
{
    public ExtractMethodFails()
    {
    }

/**
     */
    public void start()
    {
        // --- START HERE

// --- END HERE
    }

}

In the above class, selecting the lines from "// --- START HERE" to "// --- END HERE" and running Quick Extract Method will hang my system every time.  However, in the following class, Quick Extract Method works just fine:

public class ExtractMethodWorks
{
    public ExtractMethodWorks()
    {
    }

public void start()
    {
        // --- START HERE

// --- END HERE
    }

}

I whittled this down from a much more complex example.  Ultimately, it appears as though the existence of a Javadoc comment on the start() method is what causes the hang!  That's so bizarre that I have to post it here to see if folks can reproduce it before I send it in to support. 

Would someone else please take these classes and try to verify my findings?

Thanks!

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:32:38 PM »
I just had another developer here verify this.  I'm on 11.0.2, and he's on 11.0.1, and it happens on both versions.  He showed me Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F2 to stop the script, and I was able obtain the following stack trace:

Slick-C STACK TRACE ******************************
 Created on 9/15/2006 at 9:21:11 (314 ms)
 Edit module and type "st -f <offset>" to get the
 run-time error position

error code=-3020
 Break key pressed.  Macro halted

cutil.ex 9057 _in_comment(0)   p_window_id: 13   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
quickrefactor.ex 4838 static(9)   p_window_id: 13   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
quickrefactor.ex 8108 refactor_quick_extract_method()   p_window_id: 13   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:

Looking at quickrefactor.ex (running st-f 4838), I see that it's in this loop:

while (p_line > non_blank_line) {
      if (_in_comment()) {
         up();
         continue;
      }
      _str line='';
      get_line(line);
      if (line=='') {
         break;
      }
   }

That's interesting.  It's as if the _in_comment()/up() combination isn't working so it's getting stuck in the comment ...  Sure enough, if I put a blank line between the comment and the start() method, the extract works.  So at least now I have a workaround and a way to get out of the hang if it occurs.

With regard to sending things to support, is it enough to post it here, or should I send email to support@slickedit.com?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 09:59:54 PM »
You could try this tiny patch:
quickrefactor.e - find_new_method_insertion_point() [line 992] (see the // HS2: comment)
   // loop until we find a blank line outside of a comment
   while (p_line > non_blank_line) {
      if (_in_comment()) {
         up();
         continue;
      }
      _str line='';
      get_line(line);
      if (line=='') {
         break;
      }
      // HS2: go up if it's still a non-blank line
      up();
   }

The reason is that _in_comment() already returns false on the (non-blank) line containing '/**' due to the begin_line() above the loop...

HS2

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »
That solves it.  Thanks!