Author Topic: Migrating Codewright Users  (Read 10319 times)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Migrating Codewright Users
« on: September 18, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »
We are considering a feature to convert CodeWright projects to SlickEdit projects.  I am would like to hear from people migrating from CodeWright (and potentially migrating from CodeWright) what parts of their CodeWright projects they most need converted.  My thoughts right now are as follows:

• Bring over files
  • Bring over Build command
  • Bring over Version Control Information
  • The project will automatically be tagged by SlickEdit's tag facility
  • Do not convert compiler field[/i]
Please let me know what you think.

apnakon

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Migrating Codewright Users
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »
Hi Dan,

That's music to my ears!  Terrific!  :)

Being an old Codewright user who has just switched over to Slickedit, this would be a terrific utility.
One other thing I can think of would be the Lexer details (keywords etc. where appropiate - ie. SlickEdit doesn't deal with the language defined).

Also, bringing over defined project spaces (kind of like workspaces in slickedit, they held definitions for a number of related projects).

Another area that comes to mind would be if/when Slickedit supports a Regular expression powered outline parser, the taking over of the regular expressions set up in the outline parser.

I will give this more thought and post more if anything comes to mind.

Many Thanks,

Adrian.

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:32:10 AM »
Nice to hear. Since my current project uses an embedded environment with Codewright integrated, I'm not quite sure which properties are Codewright pure, but simply having the correct file lists, build commands, and the *additionally defined commands* would make my life much easier. Currently I have to maintain my own workspace, being the only SlickEdit user in the team...

Regards,

Johan

Gary

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »
sounds like a great idea... even if that feature would come at least 2 years to late for me :( - i have manually re-set up all relevant projects under slickedit.

Another area that comes to mind would be if/when Slickedit supports a Regular expression powered outline parser, the taking over of the regular expressions set up in the outline parser.

sorry for going a little bit off topic but codewright's regex support for outlining and syntax highlightning was one of the major reasons why it was so hard for me to abandon codewright (i used both in parallel for over 6 months ;) ).

meanwhile i have a modified prg.e which gives me rudimentary outlining for custom languages and i am more or less happy with it but i still miss the flexibility of simple regex outlining - i would definitely support your request

Gary

apnakon

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »
HI All,

Gary's comment about the Regular Expression parser in Codewright is also one of the reasons why I stayed with Codewright for so long.  This was an amazing feature, and still to this day something that I have not seen done in any other editor.  I, too, did the comparision with Codewright and SlickEdit over the years, and was always disappointed when SlickEdit had not implemented a similar feature.  (Again, just for me) - it was one of the major ways I would compare editors - grade them.

The power it gave for the user to customize different languages / file types (including dump/log files) in any way you like was totally magic.  It set Codewright apart from all other editors (for me, anyway).  I sincerely hope that one day, SlickEdit will implement this feature set.

I have posted on this topic before (with screenshots of how Codewright implemented it).  Scott has kindly replied by email (which was great!)  - so I am looking forward to seeing the SlickEdit version of Regex some day.  :)

Cheers,

Adrian.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »
Oh yes - log file/dump analyis ...
That was one of the things I was jealous of my Codewright colleagues.

I think 'static' lang. support could be better done taking the prg.e example which also provides even more lang. features.
But it's clearly not that user friendly and resides in a dark edge ...

For (huge) logs/dumps with frequently changing 'patterns' to search for it's another thing (and a bit off-topic).
And sometimes it's not possible/useful to use a real debugger especially for driver/embedded development (as I curr. do) where printf() is your friend.
So I thought about it and this idea came into my mind:

@Slickteam and friends:
If the process buffer ('Build tab' / .process buffer) is displayed in an MDI window and the error markers are set (implicitely by a 'Build' tool or by a user written load_file_into_process_buffer_and_set_error_markers() macro) the error markers could be used to display s.th. useful in the 'Defs' tab which would implicitely provide some basic tagging support (list_tags()) too.
Thanks to the new error parsing support it's quite convenient to create / set / select the proper regexp to use.
The 'load...' macro could be added to the Build-tab context menu ('Send Compile output to Editor window' is already there).
And if e.g. a debug log file provides some filename/linenumber information we'd get a 'goto source from logfile' feature for free ;)
(I already make use of __FILE__, __LINE__ (supported by most C compilers) for debug output and I think I'll try to write this 'load_...) macro mentioned above. Even w/o 'Defs'-tab support this could help me a lot.)

Similar things apply to the '.searchN' buffers (SearchN-tabs) when displayed as MDI win.
The given matches could be used accordingly as described above providing a better outline / handling especially for larger search results.
In additon the 'Symbol' toolbar could display the matched location.

This could be a cool (and non-intrusive) feature making a difference.
And maybe it's not that hard to implement. I think a lot of the required functionality is already there.

What do you think about it ?

HS2
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:53:14 AM by hs2 »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 07:21:59 PM »
Does anybody have Codewright workspaces they can send me?  I am not asking for source, just .psp and .pjt files zipped up so that the directory structure is preserved.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 02:43:12 PM »
sheepishly taps microphone"Is this thing on?"

If anybody has Codewright a workspace with .psp and .pjt files they can share it would be a big help.  I do not need source, just the .psp and .pjt files.

Thanks

apnakon

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi Dan,

Here a couple of my old Codewright files.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:34 PM »
Thank you Adrian