Author Topic: Remote Development  (Read 11439 times)

Michael

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Remote Development
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »
Hello!
I've a WinXP machine which is my preferred development system and a linux machine for which I normally develop applications (console based g++). Is it possible to develop on the WinXP System while accessing the source files from the linux system with a samba network share (or similar) and run the Makefile directly on the Linux system with an ssh remote shell?

Is such a configuration possible with slickedit and is it still possible to use the g++ error parser to jump to possible errors and warnings like in standard slickedit c++ projects ?

Greetings,
Michael
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:31:48 PM by Michael »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Remote Development
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »
Yes - cross development this is one of Slick's strengths and was one of the major reasons why I've choosen it once...
I already used a similar configuration for a Linux project.
- mount remote src-trees (incl. system/lib header/src trees for tagging) as SMB share - NFS is also poss. since 'M$ Services for Unix' is for free now
- used PuTTY (create a session/configure ssh and use 'plink') for remote shelling (supports everything and it's free) and setup 'Project Props -> Tools' w/ the appropriate commands and settings (capture output etc.)
- configure error parsing if needed (since v11 there is a convenient setup dialog for that)
- do remote debugging w/ gdb <-> gdbserver (didn't use it b/c I did driver dev.)
  or just do everything 1st time right ;)

HS2

Michael

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
Hello hs2,

thanks for your help, great that such configuration could work with SlickEdit  :). Currently I'm evaluating SlickEdit and so I'm not so familiar with its configuration options.
Could you give e. g. a screenshot how plink must be added in the project properties to execute the makefile on the remote system and output capture to SlickEdit?

Greetings,
Michael

hs2

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:29:42 AM »
Hi Michael,

unfortunately it's long ago and meanwhile I moved to 'cross-cross-developement' (using a cygwin-based Windows Kit). But it's not a big difference...
For plink options see PuTTY.hlp -> 'Section 7.2: Using Plink'. It's a good reference.
In addition you also should setup the 'pageant' daemon when doing ssh w/o the need of entering the passphrase all the time. (see Chapter 9: Using Pageant for authentication).
Once you managed the proper key configuration along w/ your remote hosts ~/.ssh stuff it's working great !
See attached my completeley messed list of 'Build' tools and replace the 'bashcmd.cmd' prefix w/ 'plink michael_session' (configured in Project->Project Props.). But I think it helps to get an idea...
You are not limited to the standard set of commands like build/rebuild/compile/etc. .

I hope it helps to find the right decision ;)
BTW#1: If you made the right decision @see also here for some further hints:
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=282.0

BTW#2: This forum is also a strong point if you take care about ultra-fast (except the timezone delay) support.

HS2

PS: No - I'm not on the payroll of SlickEdit :(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:35:33 AM by hs2 »

Michael

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »
Hello HS2,

thanks again for your detailed explanation!

Now it works well now: I added a custom Tool "Remote Compile" with the following call

Code: [Select]
plink 192.168.0.100 "cd code/cpp/src/testproject && make clean && make all"The authentication is done with a private key so no passwort entering necessary.

Also the error parsing seems to work in a short test :)

Greetings,
Michael

hs2

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »
Congrats Michael !
Isn't it great ? IMO there is no better (universal) solution for such work.

HS2