Author Topic: Color Coding JSP Expression Language  (Read 10376 times)

PlanetPratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Color Coding JSP Expression Language
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:18 PM »
I reported this back in the beta test for Version 11, but since we're two patches in and there's still no fix for it, I'll assume it got lost somewhere.

Basically the HTML Lexer seems to go bananas when it encounters ${ on the screen.  It's very weird, if you scroll the screen so there are no EL tags showing, everything color codes fine, but as soon as the ${ shows on the screen, the color coding loses it's mind.  I can re-send the screen cap if it's really needed, but I've tried it on several computers and they all show the symptoms.  Sometimes it can be localized to the area around the ${xxx}, but most of the time it's global (to the screen at least).  Any idea how to work around this one?
  (*Chris*)

PlanetPratt

Re: Color Coding JSP Expression Language
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
I can't fricken believe it.  I just downloaded SlickEdit 2007 and this major bug is still there.  Unchanged!!  This makes me extremely sad.  I've been a SlickEdit customer and evangelist since the first version of Visual SlickEdit (my personal serial number has only 4 digits), I spend good money for an editor and the authors are spending all their time trying to add new features without fixing the ones that are known to be broken.  Badly.  I guess it's time to look into other editors.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
Can you post a sample JSP file that exhibits the behavior you are talking about?  We can replicate lexer problems around ${ expressions but we want to make sure that we fix this appropriately, and an example from what you are seeing will help.  If you do not want to post code, can you send something into support@slickedit.com ?  Thanks.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:03:13 PM »
Hopefully this will help. if you need the full JSP, let me know, but attached is a screen shot of the editor losing it's mind.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 06:17:37 PM »
The full JSP would help, if you can...thanks.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »
Here's the file shown in the image.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »
Hmm...we're having problems reproducing the color coding issues you are seeing (as posted in the screenshot).  We see problems when we insert a line break in a ${} block, but other than that we can't seem to get the color coding lost...like you are seeing.  Have you modified your color coding for HTML at all?  Can you post or send in your user.vlx file (in your config dir), if this is the case ?  Thanks.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
Here's my user.vlx file.  I haven't made any changes in v12, so these would have been made with a previous version.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:10:42 PM »
Well...it's definitely something in your user.vlx file.  Still looking to see what is causing it, you do have ${ } defined as a multi-line comment, but I removed that and it's still not color coding correctly.  I'll keep you posted...

- Ryan 

PlanetPratt

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »
Yup, that was an attempt to work around the problem, but (as you noticed) it didn't work.  I would have sworn I removed it from the interface though.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
Looks like you removed "{" and "}" from Punctuation under Tokens in your Java Color Coding Setup.  Add these back in and you should be seeing correct behavior again.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
As I mentioned, I'm a long time SlickEdit user, my bet is long ago those weren't part of the definition and it's just carried forward that way forever.  Thanks for looking into this, hopefully it will prevent some other long time user's Frustration if they can find this thread.
  (*Chris*)

PlanetPratt

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »
Unfortunately adding the { and } to punctuation didn't seem to change anything, but deleting the whole  section out of the user.vlx file and restarting seems to have fixed the problem.  Thanks again.
  (*Chris*)