Author Topic: SlickEdit locking up frequently for 5-45 seconds, very annoying  (Read 3625 times)

plutonium239

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit locking up frequently for 5-45 seconds, very annoying
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »
Hi there -

I have SlickEdit 13.0.2.0 running on a 3.0 GHz Quad Core machine with 8G of RAM on WinXP 64bit. It is hooked up to Version Control using SCC/Perforce SCM.

Often, upon certain actions being performed, SlickEdit will lock up for a few seconds, sometimes up to 45 seconds, where it is completely unresponsive, ignoring all input and labeled by Windows as "Not Responding". During this time, it consumes some CPU, so it is probably busy with something. This will happen for example: Before executing the "Build" tool command, after executing the "Build" command, before a "Find in Files", after loading a new workspace (even if no windows are open in both old and new workspace). No dialog, progress bar, status message or anything pops up which would explain what's going on. Sometimes, red Xs will appear next to errors after such lock up, so I am suspecting it may have something to do with the build error marking system, but then maybe not.

This is highly annoying and extremely disruptive to my workflow.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Markus

lambertia

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
Re: SlickEdit locking up frequently for 5-45 seconds, very annoying
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:11:48 pm »
Hi Marcus.

Could I suggest a higher spec machine?  ;D

Cheers,
--
Greg.

jporkka

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6

plutonium239

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:14:17 am »
I think the cause was projects using *.* wildcards to include files. Seemingly Slickedit validates these often, and if the folders have a lot of files in them, that slows it down.

I fixed it by switching to explicit file lists in all projects that I keep updated by auto-regenerating them once a night with a script that also deletes the tag files. Slickedit is a lot faster now.

Cheers!

Bock

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:06:09 am »
I know it is solved now, but may I suggest that under Windows understanding the reason for this kind of problem can be made easier with "Process Monitor" (a free tool part of the SysInternals suite, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx ).