Author Topic: Navigation practices for references  (Read 26413 times)

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 92
Re: Navigation practices for references
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
The combined search/references view is a good idea.  Hopefully it would combine all the features of both current views.  There have been many times when I wished I could tell the context in a search (or get a quick preview without having to open the file.)  I also often wish for a grep style view when I'm looking at references.  It's a lot quicker to scan through search results than step through all the results in the preview window if what you need to find is on the same line as the thing you are searching for.

Putting all that into a single view without causing other problems would be challenging.

- Tim

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
Personally, I would love to see References be presented in the Search Results window, and for Search Results to have its own Preview pane.

donjoe

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
Yeah, that definitely sounds cool.

On a sadder note: alas, I was disappointed again just as I was starting to get used to the "Calls or uses..." thing. I thought under each function in the Calling Tree it lists the ones it calls in the exact order in which they occur in the function body, but no: it just lists them alphabetically. :(

Listing them just like they're called inside the body would be more intuitive&useful, kind of like a "selective snapshot" of the code.

Oh well...

mako

• Community Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
Listing them just like they're called inside the body would be more intuitive&useful, kind of like a "selective snapshot" of the code.

The "Defs" toolbar can give you functions called in the order they are called. Right click on the pane and select "Sort by Line Number". You can even have it display the code itself by selecting "Show Statements", but that seems a bit excessive.

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 06:07:41 AM »
Well, yeah, but the Defs toolbar isn't a Calling Tree, it's 1 level only.