Author Topic: SlickEdit 10.0.3 find-in-files not working  (Read 16307 times)

israelshapiro

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit 10.0.3 find-in-files not working
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:22:34 pm »
Hi All,

I have used the SlickEdit 10.0.3 on my FC4 box for the last year without a problem. But recently something strange is happening to it.
After I had to kill the slickedit process a few days ago (it was stuck due to some SMB mount problem) it now won't do the find-in-files correctly. When I start the find in files (including subfolders) the search window seems stuck forever and no files show up in the window. However when I stop the search operation I get the following message:
Search terminated
No files were found to look in

Which is impossible because there is lots of files to search (and find) the string in.

When I set the "foreground search" option everything seems to be working fine.

Have you experienced anything like that in the past?

Kohei

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 25
Re: SlickEdit 10.0.3 find-in-files not working
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »
Do you happen to set a symbolic link to the vs binary and launch SlickEdit using that symlink?  If yes, there is a known bug where the background find-in-files search does not run if the name of the symbolic link is something other than 'vs' (but the foreground search works).  It is already in our bug tracking system, and we'll fix this one shortly.

--Kohei

israelshapiro

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:53:21 pm »
No, in my case the vs is not a symlink.

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:32:43 pm »
No, in my case the vs is not a symlink.
Hm, Ok.  I just needed to clear that one out first.

Does it display any message in the status bar when the background search fails?

israelshapiro

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:50:35 pm »
The search is just stuck and doesn't fail until I explicitly stop it and then it shows:
Search terminated
No files were found to look in

israelshapiro

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 08:52:40 pm »
anyone has a clue?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 322
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:41:37 pm »

I probably can't help but since you said the problem started when you had to kill the slickedit process, I guess you  realise this suggests there's either some corruption in your system (which reinstall might fix) or there's some "state" somewhere that's making it fail.  I'm unfamiliar with Linux but you could try to look for "state" information e.g. slick config files or any kind of slick files with recent time/date.  There's plenty of these in your config directory and might be some in slick install directories.  Something that I often suggest because it's easy to do is to run slick with a brand new config directory  - create an empty folder and use the -sc some-folder option when you invoke slick to start a new config directory.  There might be "state" information that your OS is holding that's got screwed up I guess.

Graeme

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 04:32:05 pm »
It sounds like the value of a Slick-C global or static variable is hosed.  Exit SlickEdit. Backup and then remove the "vslick.stu" file in your $HOME/.slickedit/<version>/vslick.stu.  Now restart SlickEdit.  When you restart, SlickEdit will use the default "vslick.stu" file located under the installation directory and apply your configuration changes to it.

israelshapiro

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:50:44 am »
Thanks!
Looks like this one has solved it.
 :)

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 01:42:27 am »
I have the exact same problem with 11.0.2, under Windows.  I can't seem to find any *.stu files on my drive(s).  Are they named something else perchance?

Stephane

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:07 am »
It's 'vslick.sta' on Windows platform.
HS2

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
Drats, thanks hs2.   I was sort of hoping it wasn't lumped with the .sta blob.  :(

Steph.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 02:38:24 pm »
BTW: Reloding the corr. module (which one ???) may help restoring a global slick var.
I've to do that with clipbd.e from time to time when my clipboard history was corrupted (somehow).
I dunno - try to reload 'search.e' and friends... It maybe better than re-configure everything.

HS2

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 05:11:25 pm »
@hs2 I've had the same problem with clipboards getting auto-restored corrupt but not since the fix I made for 11.02.  Have you had this problem in 11.02?

mgweeks

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 10:48:08 pm »
I just installed all of the current hotfixes and now I am having the same problem. My background find in files is no longer working. Now, to be honest, I don't recall being aware of what it was set to before so maybe I've been doing foreground searches all this time since I usually wait until it's done to look at the results. Was anything changed in this regard with the hotfixes that may have changed this setting?