Author Topic: 'x' turns into carriage return  (Read 4700 times)

almuric

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
'x' turns into carriage return
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:30 pm »
I'm using SlickEdit Version 10.

Every time I type an 'x' (lower case only), I get a carriage return instead. I looked at the list of macros and there are none. I  have, in the past, to make parsing a file quicker - macroed something like 'delete-end-space' all being the x key. The last time I did that was months ago, and I haven't had a problem since then. Today, all of a sudden, when I hit 'x', I get a carriage return. No 'x'. I can type a 'X' just fine, either with shift or capslock. And if I'm in capslock, if I hit shift and 'x', I get a carriage return.

Like I said, when I go to Macros->List Macros, the list is empty. There's nothing there. I do have a feeling that it's got to be something like that, though. Can someone give me a hint as to how to diagnose and/or fix?

Thanks.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: 'x' turns into carriage return
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:50 am »
First thing I'd try is to is open a source file, activate the SlickEdit command line, then type the what-is command, press enter, then at the prompt type x. You should get a popup or command line message that "x is not defined". If you see "x runs the command ...", this key got mapped to some macro. And if you see something else, say "Enter runs the command ...", then your keyboard is sending the wrong code somehow.

Another possibility is to select the Macro > Record macro menu option, open up a buffer, start typing some xs, then stop recording the macro and examine the source code it generated.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:45:22 am by Matthew »

almuric

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:29:46 pm »
Thanks for the help. The what-is command gives me: "x runs the command python-enter"
Same thing when I record a macro. I get 'python_enter()' as the function it calls.

So the $64,000 question is, how do I get it stop that?

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:44:23 pm »
Assuming you're running v.13 (2008), go to tools -> Options.  Search for Keybindings.  (It should be under the keyboard heading).  Once found, on the right, you can search by key sequence.  Enter the "x", and it should filter down to the keybinding in question.  Click on that line and click the "remove" button.  Confirm it and you should be done.

Jim

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
If you're running SlickEdit v10, from the SlickEdit command line (the command line can be accessed by hitting Escape in most emulations or simply clicking on the message area in the bottom left corner of the main SlickEdit application window) enter "unbind-key" (no quotes), then key in your lower case "x" (no quotes) and hit Enter.

Your x should get you a keyed in x char now.

SlickEdit Support

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 02:52:55 pm »
mea culpa & apologies.  I had followed the thread, but didn't re-read before responding with an incorrect solution.  Thanks, support team, for catching that.