Author Topic: SlickEdit 2009 broke parenth highlighting  (Read 25254 times)

_fragment_

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
SlickEdit 2009 broke parenth highlighting
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
Just installed the 2009 update and it seems that paren and brace pair highlighting is broken. When I first open a file, if the cursor happens to be on a paren or brace, the pair highlight until I move the cursor and then it stops highlighting entirely. Anyone else have this problem?

Dave

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: SlickEdit 2009 broke parenth highlighting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:53 pm »
I just checked it on my test install, and it works fine. What language are you using? Can you double-check your setting for "Parenthesis matching style" on Tools > Options > Editing > General?

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »
It's set to "Highlight", same as SE2008. I'm programming in C. I also seem to have lost adaptive formatting, even though the options say it's on.

If I open the same file in SE2008, it all works fine. I can't see what I might be doing wrong. Until this gets fixed, I'll have to keep to SE2008.

Dave

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55:36 pm »
Do you guys at SlickEdit need me to provide anything more, or am I just dead in the water here?

I don't see anyone else with this complaint so maybe I'm just an isolated case?

In summary: with SE2009, I don't get highlighted paren/brace matching, I don't get adaptive formatting, and my tab selection is ignored: instead of 4 spaces as shown in options, I get 2 tabs inserted when tab key is pressed. If I go back to using SE2008, everything is fine. I'm doing embedded C programming, not linked into any development IDE, XP w/SP3.

Dave

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »
To be clear, I'm a fellow user like yourself.  This is the user community discussion forum, so this is the place to mingle with other users and help each other out.  The SlickTeam sometimes checks in here, but to open a support case with the actual SlickEdit Support team it's best to use the Help -> Contact Product Support menu command from inside SlickEdit, and fill out the web form.

Can you elaborate on the steps to reproduce the problems?

For example, you say you don't get adaptive formatting.  What do you do, what result do you expect, and what happens instead?  Have you done any troubleshooting, and if so what have you done and what have you observed?  What happens when you use the "adaptive-format-stats" or "adaptive-format-update" commands?

With paren/brace matching, what do you do...expect...happens (same questions as above)?

With SE2009, do these things work as expected if you start from a fresh config directory?  (E.g. start SE via "vs -sc c:\tmpconfig").

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »
Try starting SlickEdit with a default config. The best way to do that is to launch it with the -sc option: vs -sc "c:\config".  Just be sure that the directory you point to has never been used as a config directory before. It could be that SlickEdit choked while copying your settings from v13.

If this works. Then try deleting the v14 config directory in the normal place--not the one just created above. By that, I mean the directory named "v14.0.0". Then when you start SlickEdit, it will try to copy your settings from v13 again. Maybe with more luck.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 388
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:57:27 pm »
I found and fixed a problem where adaptive formatting was not examining indent.  However, you should have been getting the indent settings from the Language specific options (i.e adaptive formating was doing nothing for syntax indent and indent with tabs).

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:06:51 pm »
Well, I looked in the Language specific options and adaptive formatting is showing as "ON", however, if I type "for" and hit the left paren, it does nothing. Same thing with "if".

So the Language specific options seem to be lying to me. Same thing with paren/brace pair highlighting.

Dave

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »
Try starting SlickEdit with a default config. The best way to do that is to launch it with the -sc option: vs -sc "c:\config".  Just be sure that the directory you point to has never been used as a config directory before. It could be that SlickEdit choked while copying your settings from v13.

If this works. Then try deleting the v14 config directory in the normal place--not the one just created above. By that, I mean the directory named "v14.0.0". Then when you start SlickEdit, it will try to copy your settings from v13 again. Maybe with more luck.

I tried this, with no luck. Starting with -sc "c:\config" made me walk through the setup steps like I just installed, but the same features are not working. I've been using SlickEdit since 2004, and never had this kind of trouble.

Dave

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 388
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:29 pm »
I would have expected that running slickedit with a fresh config ("vs -sc c:\config") would have fixed your "for(" and paren/brace highlighting problems. I can't reproduce these problems.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »
With paren/brace matching, what do you do...expect...happens (same questions as above)?

if( foo )
{
    bar();
}

I put the cursor on the left brace under the if statement. I expect it to highlight the left brace and its matching right brace under bar(). What actually happens is.. nothing! Load the same file into version 13.0.0.0 and it does as expected.

Dave

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »
When you type "for(" or "for ", and SlickEdit fills in the rest of the statement; that feature is called Syntax Expansion. Is that what you're talking about? That feature isn't related to Adaptive Formatting. Adaptive Formatting analyzes your files to determine if they are using formatting that is different from your settings and give you the option of matching that formatting. It is used to match the code style of a file when that differs from your settings.

Can you post the information from Help > About? When you started with the default config using the -sc command line switch, did you make any changes after that? It's important that you work in a completely default config while we're trying to debug this. For example, it's possible that a color scheme might make the paren highlighting difficult or impossible to see.

Once we determine what's happening in a default config, then we can start to make changes and see which settings are causing the problem.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 08:51:42 pm »
I would have expected that running slickedit with a fresh config ("vs -sc c:\config") would have fixed your "for(" and paren/brace highlighting problems. I can't reproduce these problems.

I guess I'm SOL, then. Looks like v14 is not for me. Here's hoping the next patch or v15 likes me better. At least v13 still likes me.

Dave

mitcheljh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
I'm not sure if this could be the problem, but did you check to make sure the color of the highlighted brace is different than the normal color of braces? (black).

Tools->Options->Appearance->Colors->Highlighting->Block Matching

It could be that the braces are being highlighted, but the highlighted color is black, so you don't notice.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »
Can you post the information from Help > About? When you started with the default config using the -sc command line switch, did you make any changes after that? It's important that you work in a completely default config while we're trying to debug this. For example, it's possible that a color scheme might make the paren highlighting difficult or impossible to see.

Help->About:

SlickEdit Version 14.0.0.5

Serial number: WB353221
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\slickedit\14\slickedit.lic

Build Date: March 19, 2009
Emulation: Brief

Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 3
Memory: 56% Load, 591MB/1047MB Physical, 132MB/2097MB Virtual

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit 2009\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,13503MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\dheil.000\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\14.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,13503MB free)