Author Topic: SlickEdit 2009 broke parenth highlighting  (Read 36581 times)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: SlickEdit 2009 broke parenth highlighting
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
So, let me guess: you have no problems creating a new C file outside of a SlickEdit project and coding with highlighting and syntax completion

No.  With one of the offending files open in SlickEdit, what does it say under Document > Select Mode?  Does it say C/C++?

Also, does everything work for you if you do the steps that Scott posted above, yet you use your customized config instead of a default one?

- Ryan

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
Interesting. I really didn't think that would make a difference. I was just trying to establish a baseline. Well, we seem to have a baseline.

Yes, I can close my open workspace and create a file called "test.c". In that file, if I type "if(", the rest of the if statement is populated and the paren highlighting matches.

Yes, it would be helpful to post screen shots of any annomolous behavior you've reported. It's not that we don't believe you.  ;)  But we may be able to spot something that gives us a clue as to where to look.

You may want to start using SlickEdit projects. Much of the power in SlickEdit derives from Context Tagging. Without creating a project and associated workspace, we have no place to store the tags for your code, so we can't give you symbol previews or provide symbol navigation (Ctrl+Dot, Ctrl+/, and Ctrl+,). These are some of the most powerful features in SlickEdit. You can find more information on this in the User Guide: Help > Contents, then read the section on "Workspaces, Projects, and Files".

Paren highlighting and Syntax Expansion aren't dependent on tagging, so we should be able to figure this out anyway.

_fragment_

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
No.  With one of the offending files open in SlickEdit, what does it say under Document > Select Mode?  Does it say C/C++?

Also, does everything work for you if you do the steps that Scott posted above, yet you use your customized config instead of a default one?

- Ryan

I opened SlickEdit from the desktop icon, which gives me my config settings (brief, etc) and loaded the SlickEdit project created in the previous experiment. Everything was still working as expected (highlighting, syntax completion).

But if I closed that project and opened a file called "test app.c" it indicated Select Mode as "Intel Assembly" and no highlighting or syntax completion. If I opened another file, "boot.c", it indicated Select Mode as "C/C++", but I also had no highlighting or syntax completion.

Dave

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
In the same way that you opened boot.c, open the .cpp file created when you ran the GNU C/C++ wizard. Don't open the workspace, just the single .cpp file that was created. Does the paren matching and syntax expansion still work?

If so, can you please attach a small sample file for which those features don't work.

Ryan is right to check the document mode. That really should govern whether these features are working or not. The file extension is used to determine the document mode, unless you manually set one for a particularly document. Then SlickEdit remembers the assigned mode. I doubt you've been doing that. So, I'm curious why the one file is not coming up as a c file.  I thought it might be something about the filename, but I created one named "test app.c" and it came up just fine as a C/C++ file.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 06:37:55 PM »
Yes, it would be helpful to post screen shots of any annomolous behavior you've reported. It's not that we don't believe you.  ;)  But we may be able to spot something that gives us a clue as to where to look.

Attempting to attach a screenshot...
It keeps saying too big, I've reduced it in size twice now.

Dave

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »
I believe I have reproduced your problems.  It appears to require having some embedded assembly code. Once you edit a .c or .cpp with some embedded assembly code, things can go wonky (like my scientific term!).  I haven't reproduced the orange color yet.

Are you editing any .c or .cpp files that have embedded assembly code?

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »
I believe I have reproduced your problems.  It appears to require having some embedded assembly code. Once you edit a .c or .cpp with some embedded assembly code, things can go wonky (like my scientific term!).  I haven't reproduced the orange color yet.

Are you editing any .c or .cpp files that have embedded assembly code?

The previously mentioned "test app.c" has this:

asm("goto 0x400");

I've also noticed that I can now tell when highlighting and syntax completion aren't going to work: with the default color scheme, if I open a file and all the functions stay bold black, it's not going to work (notice this is also the case in my screenshot, where highlighting is working but odd colors - but main is still in black). Some files, when I open them the functions start out black and then they turn bold orange. Then the highlighting and syntax completion always seem to work.

Dave

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »
Attempting to attach a screenshot...
It keeps saying too big, I've reduced it in size twice now.

FWIW, the screenshot was an uncompressed .BMP file, that's why it was "too big".  Try saving with compression, or use a more efficient file format like .PNG or .JPG or .GIF, etc.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
FWIW, the screenshot was an uncompressed .BMP file, that's why it was "too big".  Try saving with compression, or use a more efficient file format like .PNG or .JPG or .GIF, etc.

I don't have a lot in terms of graphical tools here at work. There's paint and I think there's some sort of image editor with Office. Anyway, I was able to crop the shot in paint and get it small enough.

Dave

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
I don't have a lot in terms of graphical tools here at work. There's paint and I think there's some sort of image editor with Office. Anyway, I was able to crop the shot in paint and get it small enough.
Newer versions of Paint (like in Windows XP) let you do "Save As"...  It even works pretty well.

Jim.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Newer versions of Paint (like in Windows XP) let you do "Save As"...  It even works pretty well.

Thanks for the tip. I clearly haven't played around with paint much lately. :)

Dave

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
I have checked in a fix for the bigger problem which was embedded code in a .c or .cpp file.  The mode was getting switched to the embedded language.  Not good eh  ;D We are still working on a fix for the orange problem. The good news is that we figured out a way to reproduce it.  It's kinda picky.

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
I look forward to the next update.

Dave

_fragment_

• Community Member
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
BTW, I'll take this opportunity to say that the highlighting in v13 stood out better visually. Instead of changing the color of the braces and making them bold font, a box of different color than the normal background was placed on each brace and the braces were changed to a contrasting color (like white brace on a blue background, when the background is normally white). Just my 2 cents.

Dave

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
I don't think we changed that. It's controlled by your option settings. Select Tools > Options > Appearance > Colors and change the foreground/background for "Block Matching" in the "Highlighting" group. Some color schemes may be more obvious than others, and some color schemes may have changed to better accomodate Symbol Coloring. But it is the same in the default color scheme.