Author Topic: Now available - New build for SlickEdit 2009 (v14.0.0.7)  (Read 17261 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Now available - New build for SlickEdit 2009 (v14.0.0.7)
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
We have determined that the bug regarding symbol references (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4605.0), merits a new build of SlickEdit 2009.

We are working to correct this bug and perform additional testing. The new build of SlickEdit 2009 will be available in your SlickEdit web account within the next few days.

Those of you who already have SlickEdit 2009 will get notification through the update manager that a new version is available for download.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:04:06 PM by Jeffrey »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Now available - New build for SlickEdit 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »
I'm happy to say that the new build for SlickEdit 2009 is now available for everyone to download.

Thank you for your patience.

tlholaday

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
  • Text text wonderful text
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
Alas, SlickEdit 2009 does not appear in my account's Registered Products list.  Must I be patient?

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »
Alas, SlickEdit 2009 does not appear in my account's Registered Products list.  Must I be patient?
This post might help.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:31 AM »
BTW, on Windows, is it necessary to fully uninstall se_1400005 before installing se_1400007, or can the latter be treated like an upgrade installation? (I installed se_1400005 into a fresh location, I still have se_13 installed, but not in the PATH variable--if that affects anything).

Also, can the devs at Slickedit maintain a page on the support website that systematically lists in one place all the various versions of external programs that have beenn actually tested and can be used and integrated with SE, i.e. the help file already lists the versions for Perl, Python, Java, etc., but what about Subversion, for instance? I'm assuming you've tested with 1.5, but it would be nice to have the precise versions for all these programs.

mjdl

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:16:23 AM »
O.K., I can answer my first question: se_1400007 won't install as an upgrade over se_1400005 (on Windows XP SP3). The latter must be uninstalled first, per message at end of Windows installer initialization. No big deal, but not quite what I expected.

mrsixw

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
New build seems to be buggy. Other than the color overides, which I really hate, there is an issue with both the speed (loading take longer than v13.x.x) and most importantly the open folder window.

Open folder has two big problems. One is that the indent is far far too big, meaning you have to side scroll. Most worryingly though, if you start clicking on folders, a duplicate entry appears in the tree. Futher clicking really screws up the tree rendering.

I'm a little disappointed with this version to be honest, and as such I am going back to v13 at least until the tree rendering is fixed. I'd like the indent to be optional (appols if it is and I've missed is) and I really want to be able to turn off color overiding and go back to what I'll call the "classic slickedit" scheme. Could that be included in a future release?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:32:22 AM by mrsixw »

mjdl

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
mrsixw -- Are you referring to the new "Symbol Coloring Scheme" options, found in Options-->Appearance-->Colors? If so, you can simply turn off the symbol coloring by selecting "(None)" at the top of the drop-down list of symbol coloring schemes; then only the overall edit-window text coloring scheme chosen in the "Scheme" drop-down (above the "Symbol Coloring Scheme" drop-down) will apply, exactly as in SE 13.

I haven't yet encountered the behaviour you mention in the new Open dialog, but I've too little usage to judge.

One thing that has been suggested elsewhere in this forum to improve the snappiness of SE is reducing the number of symbol lookups made by the context tagging mechanisms that are constantly working in the background. I use a rather underpowered (by today's standard) uniprocessor (AMD Turion 1.6GHz/1MB cache) laptop with plenty of memory (2G), but setting these defaults in Options-->Editing-->Context Tagging gave an appreciable speed-up: max. candidates for list parameters=50, max. class/struct members shown in list=100, max. funcs. found by parameter help=50, globals shown in list members=50, max. items found in ref. search=512, max. tags found in symbol search=500.

And some of those could be even more reduced, depending on the complexity of the code and the numbers of files you are dealing with.

Also, increasing the max. tag file cache size to something larger than the sum total of all the tag files you may be using at any time definitely helps with snappy performance.

There's no doubt that SE is getting more and more complex with each new version, with more stuff going on under the hood (it's no longer a 1960s Volkswagen Beetle text editor, it's becoming mini-van-like, with too many coffee cup holders everywhere, and multi-media distractions for the kids ::)), but you can still trim it down and switch many things off that you may not need (but once tried, are hard to give up).  (Insert warning about global warming footprint here.)

chrisant

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »
@mrsixw:  Can you elaborate on a couple things below?

there is an issue with both the speed (loading take longer than v13.x.x)
Can you share a bit about your configuration?
Here are some starter questions to add context:
How big is the workspace tag file?
How many projects does the workspace have?
How many files are in the workspace?
Are the files local, or are any files coming from remote locations?  (E.g. UNC shares, etc).

Open folder has two big problems. One is that the indent is far far too big, meaning you have to side scroll.
Could you attach a screen shot to illustrate the problem?

Most worryingly though, if you start clicking on folders, a duplicate entry appears in the tree. Futher clicking really screws up the tree rendering.
I'm fuzzy on what the steps are to reproduce the problem.  Are there specific steps you can share to reproduce the problem?  Maybe a screen short of the screwed up tree rendering?

I really want to be able to turn off color overiding and go back to what I'll call the "classic slickedit" scheme. Could that be included in a future release?
As mentioned by mjdl, you can turn off symbol coloring in the Tools|Options|Appearance|Colors dialog.

mrsixw

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

I'm on vacation this week and don't have access to my config. I'll answer as best I can. Thanks for the tip about turning off all the coloring. I'll try it when I get back. I did mess around with turning it off, but I gave up fairly quickly due to the tree rendering problem, coulple with needing to get a release out on Friday.

Here are some starter questions to add context:
Not too sure - certainly not huge (I have had them at 250mb in SE13)
~2000
Are the files local, or are any files coming from remote locations?  (E.g. UNC shares, etc).
Local

With regard to the tree rendering, my steps to reproduce are as follows

• Load workspace
  • Ensure that the open tab is present showing the file/folders
  • Start clicking through the folder tree - back and fourth - the rendering should go wrong

I'm using the windows build of 0007 if that helps.

Thanks

MrSixw

mrsixw

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
mrsixw -- Are you referring to the new "Symbol Coloring Scheme" options, found in Options-->Appearance-->Colors? If so, you can simply turn off the symbol coloring by selecting "(None)" at the top of the drop-down list of symbol coloring schemes; then only the overall edit-window text coloring scheme chosen in the "Scheme" drop-down (above the "Symbol Coloring Scheme" drop-down) will apply, exactly as in SE 13.

I haven't yet encountered the behaviour you mention in the new Open dialog, but I've too little usage to judge.

One thing that has been suggested elsewhere in this forum to improve the snappiness of SE is reducing the number of symbol lookups made by the context tagging mechanisms that are constantly working in the background. I use a rather underpowered (by today's standard) uniprocessor (AMD Turion 1.6GHz/1MB cache) laptop with plenty of memory (2G), but setting these defaults in Options-->Editing-->Context Tagging gave an appreciable speed-up: max. candidates for list parameters=50, max. class/struct members shown in list=100, max. funcs. found by parameter help=50, globals shown in list members=50, max. items found in ref. search=512, max. tags found in symbol search=500.

And some of those could be even more reduced, depending on the complexity of the code and the numbers of files you are dealing with.

Also, increasing the max. tag file cache size to something larger than the sum total of all the tag files you may be using at any time definitely helps with snappy performance.

There's no doubt that SE is getting more and more complex with each new version, with more stuff going on under the hood (it's no longer a 1960s Volkswagen Beetle text editor, it's becoming mini-van-like, with too many coffee cup holders everywhere, and multi-media distractions for the kids ::)), but you can still trim it down and switch many things off that you may not need (but once tried, are hard to give up).  (Insert warning about global warming footprint here.)

Again thanks for the tips on the colors and the taggings tips - I'll give them a try,

With regard to performance. I am using a 3Ghz machine with 2GB ram and WinXP. I appreciate the complexity increase - I'm an engineer after all :) However, I do expect that new version of apps perform closely to older versions, i.e. I expect some performance drop off, but not loads. In the example I am talking about, opening a project on SE13 was almost instant. Opening the same project on 14 was taking in the order of 15 seconds. Now, I don't know about you, but in my mind that performance decrease is substantial. Coupled with that, opening a file displays SE color style for several seconds before recoloring it, just added to my frustration, where as this didn't happen in old SE.

Don't get me wrong, I love SE. I appreciate that progress takes more processing power, but I don't expect to need to run quad core and 8GB ram just to have the same performance that I am used to with SE13..

mjdl

Re: Now available - New build for SlickEdit 2009 (v14.0.0.7)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
Agree with all the points you make about version-to-version performance changes. Maybe the SlickEdit devs just have not done a lot of code profiling yet, there should be some explanations for such a performance decrease between versions and detailed profiling (e.g. the Intel toolset for the Windows platform) would suggest where and how the application was spending its time. Resulting optimizations might apply to all platforms to some degree.

mrsixw

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »
Ok, back from vacations now.

So in answer to the questions posed before

21 Meg

~2500

Local

A chap at slick edit provided me a macro fix for the tree rendering problem, so for now thats gone away. I'm still seeing performance problems though but they seem related to the fancy coloring stuff. Turning that off - that for all the help with that BTW - speed everything up. Specifically observations are with coloring on
- the clicking along the menu bar take a good 2 seconds before anything is shown.
- opening projects is taking 20 - 30 seconds
- shutting down SE took a good 20 seconds.

With that all off, I get back to SE2008 ball park speeds.
- clicking along the menu bar, there is a slight delay but nothing significant to really bother me
- opening the project takes 5 seconds
- shutting SE is instant.

So, I guess for now, the solution is to just to keep all the coloring turned off.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

heromyth

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »
Sorry, I can't find "Help > Product Updates > Load Hot Fix".  See the first attachment.

The case-sensitivity rules in "Context Tagging" seem not working for D language. See the second attachment.

Thanks for any help.

chrisant

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »
The case-sensitivity rules in "Context Tagging" seem not working for D language. See the second attachment.
When I look at the second attachment, I see "to" typed in lower case, and the drop down list shows several symbols that all start with "to" in lower case.  What are you expecting to see instead?