Author Topic: Could SlickEdit support editing and build and reload symbol during debugging?  (Read 5413 times)

zhangxudong

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
When I edit source and build project during debugging in C/C++ project, SE will stop debugging session. But I can do in linux Shell.
1. gcc -g3 -o t1 t1.c
2. gdb t1
3. set breakpoint
4. run
5. ( In another shell, I edit t1.c and compile )
6. file t1( reload t1 symbol )
7. next( I can continue debugging )
Could SE do like above?

Another question:
Could I use gdb instruction directly during debugging?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:43:19 PM by zhangxudong »

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
You can send a command directly to GDB using the "debug_send_command" command from the SlickEdit command line.  Yes, this is not the most convenient way to do things, bit it will send teh command and display the result of the command for you.  You could try this with the "load" command in order to try to do edit and continue, but I can't guarrantee that it will work.

What platform are you able to do this on?  I tested this on Solaris and reloading the executable was not allowed, perhaps this is a Linux-only GDB feature?

zhangxudong

• Community Member
I use gdb in Debian/testing.Thanks

zhangxudong

• Community Member
When I build project during debugging, SE will stop debugging session. I need SE don't stop debugging session. How do it?

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
When you do a build, note the 'vsbuild' command that is executed.  Copy and paste that to an xterm outside of SlickEdit.  When you want to rebuild during a debugging session, do the build in this manner, outside of SlickEdit.  Remember to remove the -signal argument.

Feel free to experiment and let us know how it goes.  If you know of any documentation of this feature w/ GDB, I'd like to know about it.  Especially w.r.t. doing this under the GDB/MI interface.  It seems like this isn't exactly mainstream GDB at this point, it is not mentioned in the docs as far as I could see.