Author Topic: SE2009 Bug: Browsing function reference corrupts current buffer  (Read 7668 times)

byates

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Just installed SE2009.  It is a clean install, not an upgrade.  Opened a SE macro file randomly and called up the reference to an SE function.  Using the mouse, I clicked on several of the functions listed in the reference window.  After one or two clicks the currently open buffer will get corrupted.  Somethings it changes to the .command buffer.  I have repeated this several times.

The buffer contents change to look like this:

@xy _tbfind_form:10485 4965 6120 5145
@xy _project_form:10155 4260 6780 7320
@xy _options_config_tree_form:10665 2235 13965 9960
@xy _select_tree_formfind_tag:765 4545 20505 5085
@xy _tbfilelist_form:12360 6450 4170 4290

SlickEdit Version 14.0.0.5

Serial number: XXXXXXX
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\slickedit\14\slickedit.lic

Build Date: March 19, 2009
Emulation: Brief

Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 3
Memory: 41% Load, 878MB/2095MB Physical, 205MB/2097MB Virtual

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit 2009\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,1416MB free)
Configuration Directory: H:\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\14.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,1589MB free)
Spill File: H:\TEMP\$slk.1 (non-removable drive,NTFS,1589MB free)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:57:09 am by byates »

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
Re: SE2009 Bug: Browsing function reference corrupts current buffer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:41:10 am »
I'm using:
- SE 2009 (14.0.0.5)
- Vista
- CUA emulation
- multiple buffers per window

As I click around on functions listed in the References toolbar, seemingly random files that I had open get closed.

Steps:  (simple and 100% reproducible, with <15 seconds of clicking)
1.  Left click on a function name.
2.  Ctrl+/ to look up references.
3.  Click on various functions, from multiple different files.
EXPECTED:  files that were already open should not get closed.
RESULT:  files that were open get randomly closed.

I suspect there may not be any corruption of buffer contents going on, though.  All I'm seeing is buffers getting closed, and if the wrong buffers are getting closed then it seems pretty likely that eventually the cursor might land in a hidden buffer, which could give the impression that buffer contents have been corrupted, especially if the File Tabs get confused and show the wrong buffer name.

Update:  The File Tabs do indeed get confused, but the title bar shows the real file name of the buffer.  It looks to me like it's just the combination of buffers getting closed accidentally and the File Tabs getting confused.

Impact:  It does make the References toolbar pretty much unusable at the moment, so a hotfix would be much appreciated.  (I tried a few softer colors as an eyecatcher for "Impact:", but they looked hideous against the light blue background color :P).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:50:00 am by chrisant »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 466
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:15:30 pm »
Thanks for pointing out this issue.  The problem is strictly in the File Tabs tool window.  There is no buffer corruption, just a very confused File Tabs under those circumstances.  We will have a fix for this early next week.

chrisant

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »
Thanks, Dennis.  We appreciate the timely attention!  :)

chrisant

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »
In the spirit of trying to provide as much detail as possible to the SlickTeam, I'll keep noting my observations here in case it helps with debugging and producing the fix.

I stopped using the References toolbar for now, but I'm seeing the File Tabs getting confused in other situations such as using the Preview toolbar or the Search Results toolbar.

I've opened the Files toolbar now, so next time it happens I'll also check to see if the buffer ring is getting confused, or if it's just the File Tabs that are confused.  Normally I wouldn't be able to tell, since I use next-buff-tab and prev-buff-tab to cycle through buffers.  ;)

chrisant

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:25:34 am »
@SlickTeam:  I don't understand what it means that the bug is just a File Tabs bug, but here is my experience in case it helps:

1.  I had 4 buffers open -- File Tabs toolbar and the Files/Buffers toolbar agreed on the buffers.
2.  I hit Ctrl+/ to look up References.
2.a: The Files/Buffers toolbar shows that one of the buffers got closed (but should not have).
2.b: The File Tabs toolbar shows all 4 files still open.
3.  I clicked on the File Tab for the buffer that didn't exist in the Files/Buffers toolbar.
3.a: A seemingly random other file got opened (title bar and Files/Buffer toolbar showed the correct name, and the correct contents for that random other file were shown in the editing window).
3.b: The File Tab still showed the name of the buffer that had gotten mistakenly closed.

I thought I should mention this in case 2.a above is not consistent with the issue being just a File Tabs bug.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »
@SlickTeam:  I don't understand what it means that the bug is just a File Tabs bug

We meant that the bug was localized (contained, whatever) in the File Tabs toolbar...and there was no actually corruption of your open buffers going on.  Look for a new build of 2009 soon which fixes this issue, along with a couple others.  Thanks for the detailed reports.

- Ryan