Author Topic: Anyone else see screen jumps when scrolling with wheel while region is selected?  (Read 16245 times)

bereid

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
  • Software Developer
The steps to reproduce this behavior are:

1) Select a region (preferably one involving multiple lines) near the lower portion of the window
2) Move the mouse pointer to a different part of the window, say somewhere above the selected region
3) Begin using the weel to scroll the window in a direction causing the selected region to approach the mouse pointer
4) When the mouse pointer and selected region meet, and pass each other, the text in the window often makes a sudden multi-line jump, leaving the selected region near the position where it was when selected in step 1.

Note: If line numbers are displayed, and the mouse pointer is positioned in the left margin are where the line numbers are located, then when the selected region and mouse pointer pass each other, the jump never occurs. The jump only happens when the mouse pointer actually coincides with the selected gray region.

I have described this sequence to a Slickedit tech support engineer, while hoping to resolve another more mysterious and intermittent, but still annoying problem that I suspect may be related. When I use the mouse wheel or scroll bar to view a portion of my buffer, after having previously selected a region of text, and then attempt to position the insertion point by clicking somewhere in the window, the screen sometimes makes a large jump, leaving the position where I was attempting to click somewhere far away from where it was when I clicked there. I have experienced this behavior since version 9 when I first began using the product, and it is still happening with version 11.0.2. Another engineer at my company has observed the same behavior, and both of us are using Logitech mice (different models). I haven't yet gone to the trouble to see if switching mice would solve the problem, since I'm quite happy with the one I have, and it doesn't cause touble with any other application.

If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, please describe as much detail as possible, so that the Slickedit folks may be able to reproduce and solve the problem.

Thanks for your help

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 322

After trying for a while I could only just occasionally see a problem.  After trying for even longer I've found that moving the mouse (downwards - dunno about other directions) at the same time as the scroll wheel can screw things up and make the selected region either jump back to the bottom of the screen or stop moving up at all.  With the mouse cursor on the line number region moving the mouse itself at the same time as the scroll wheel didn't cause a problem.   If I keep the mouse still I don't see a noticeable problem.  Dunno if this is the same problem you're having but I suspect it is because if there's no selected region, the window scrolls normally when I move the mouse at the same time as the scroll wheel.  I have a Microsoft optical mouse.  Possibly optical mice are worse than trackball mice coz optical mice pick up very small movements more than trackballs I think.

I couldn't reproduce your other problem but I didn't try for long coz my mouse hand is worn out!.

Graeme

nielsenj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
I've tried for 30+ minutes now to reproduce your problem (It's Friday and I'm bored, OK ?)
On my T43p, using a logitech mx1000 with microsofts drivers, i cannot reproduce any of your problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if the logitech mouse driver was causing this.

EDIT: Microsofts drivers as in Windows XP standard mouse driver.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61

Yes, I've seen all of that.  I've complained about all of that, several times.  Since V7 or 8, I don't remember anymore.  The scrolling and drag and drop behavior of SE is one of the most annoying deficiencies in an otherwise excellent tool.  And no, it isn't the mouse.  I have an Intellimouse that I've used since then, with several different flavors of Windows, and the Intellipoint drivers, as well as the in-box drivers.  This behavior has been consistently bad.

If it will help the SE team to get it right, I'll file yet another "feature request"/bug report.  Should I?

Graeme

Yes, I've seen all of that.  I've complained about all of that, several times.  Since V7 or 8, I don't remember anymore.  The scrolling and drag and drop behavior of SE is one of the most annoying deficiencies in an otherwise excellent tool.  And no, it isn't the mouse.  I have an Intellimouse that I've used since then, with several different flavors of Windows, and the Intellipoint drivers, as well as the in-box drivers.  This behavior has been consistently bad.

If it will help the SE team to get it right, I'll file yet another "feature request"/bug report.  Should I?

What's the problem with drag and drop?

Graeme

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
I have my doubts whether a mouse driver is to blame.  I haven't looked into this issue myself, but I have seen this occur on occasion.  I'd imagine a more likely scenario is that some timer event is going off and is unknowningly resetting the scroll value of the editor window.  Trying to figure which event is the problem.  As an experiment, try to see if the problem more or less frequent when:
Are you using Show info for symbol under Mouse (under Extension Options)? 
Is the Symbol or Defs tool window open?
Is the Current Context toolbar open? 
Is Autosave enabled?
Try turning on/off the paren/brace match highlighting?

On thing you can try as an experiment is to toggle _use_timers to 0 (using set-var on the command line or Macros>Set Macro Variable... on the menu).  That will disable most (unfortunately not all) of the timer events temporarily.  See if the problem is worse/better with that.  You might also try switching document modes to see if that makes the problem more or less severe (on the menu Document> Select Mode...) with Fundamental mode being the plain text option.

Graeme

I can reproduce this problem immediately at will with "show info for symbol under mouse" enabled.  If I turn off "show info for symbol under mouse" the problem goes away.

Graeme

Phil Barila

What's the problem with drag and drop?
Lots!
The most annoying is dragging and dropping between buffer windows.  If the insertion point in the target window has been scrolled out of view, when the mouse cursor carrying the text enters the target window, the insertion point doesn't immediately get moved into view.  If you just drop it without being able to see the insertion point, the inserted text can be anywhere.
If you move the pointer to the top or bottom of the window, you may be able to see the cursor race past the window on its way to the other end of the buffer.  After a while, you get pretty good at that.  Then you get smart and always make sure the insertion point is visible in the target window.
Another drag and drop issue is that if your target window is partially obscured by another, you may never be able to get the cursor where you need it to be.  Drag & Drop mostly works if the source and target windows are front and center.
As an example of how D&D should work, see any Visual Studio since 6, maybe 5.  It just works, exactly as the newbie I was expected it to.  VStudio has a lot wrong with it, but that part is rock solid, and SlickEdit is grotesquely behind in that respect.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
I just saw the drag drop problem.  Trying to drag drop into a window that is scrolled just doen't work.  I'll give this a high priority in our bug queue.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
This drop drop problem was much easier than I though to fix.

From the SlickEdit command line type fp _SelectToCursor
This should put you in mouse.e
At the top of this function (after the open brace) add the following
lines of code:
   if (p_scroll_left_edge>=0) {
      _scroll_page('r');
   }

Then type load from the slickedit command line.

The above fix works for version 11 and I tried it as far back as version 8 and this fix still works.

Phil Barila

Re: Anyone else see screen jumps when scrolling with wheel while region is selec
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:16 pm »
Clark, You are now my number one SlickEdit hero!  That was the easiest workaround for a SlickEdit annoyance I've ever been given!  And several of my colleagues here are going to be your fans, too.   ;D

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Anyone else see screen jumps when scrolling with wheel while region is selec
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:26:24 pm »
I was able to identify at least one case where the scroll value of the edit window to reset when using "Show info for symbol under Mouse" and scrolling with the mouse wheel.  A hotfix is available for 11.0.2, you can contact support@slickedit.com and they will send it to you.  Just ask them for hotfix_se1102_stdprocs.zip or reference this thread http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=462.0.

rgknowles

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Probably not related, but in V11 I get screen jumps when I have a incremental search in progress and attempt to use the mouse wheel to scroll.  Nothing happens.  But when I quit the search, all those wheel movements are then executed and I no longer have any idea where in the buffer I am.  This was not a problem in V9 (no idea about v10), but then the mouse wheel was not an explicitly support mouse action either.

Phil Barila

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 03:30:12 pm »
Lee's hotfix works for me.  Yet another annoying behavior gone!  This forum has been the best thing SE has done since SE.  The improved turn time for annoying things like these is greatly appreciated!