Author Topic: Feature Request: "Repositionable" (movable) sidebar buttons  (Read 4757 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Feature Request: "Repositionable" (movable) sidebar buttons
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:54:35 am »
After discovering them last year, I make a lot of use the left/bottom side bar buttons.  One annoyance with them is if you close the window it will be removed from the sidebar list.  Reopening the window will put it back on the sidebar but in the bottom (or right most) position.

There doesn't seem to be a way to move/reorder these button positions and it'd be nice to have.  (IE currently I have Files, Backup History, FTP, Open and Symbols docked - Symbols is at the end because I accidentally closed it and when I reopened it, it went to the bottom of the list.  The only way I can figure out to move it is to close everything else).

Graeme

• Hero Points: 221
Re: Feature Request: "Repositionable" (movable) sidebar buttons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:18 am »
You can do tbResetAll on the slick command line to get back the default settings  - but don't do this if you have any custom toolbars or buttons.

You can probably do it programmatically using _delete_window to close toolbars, then use the activate-whatever functions to open them in whatever order you wanted.  Can't guarantee it would work though.

Another thing you can do is start macro recording and use the menu View -> Toolbars to close whatever toolbars are open, then use the same menu to open whatever toolbars you want.  Then stop recording.  I don't know if this would open toolbars in the order you want but it probably would.  Edit  - this probably doesn't work because the recorded macro uses a specific window ID to select the toolbar to be closed  - but you could change the code to find the window ID from the form name as tbSmartShow does.

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:49:45 am by Graeme »

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »
After discovering them last year, I make a lot of use the left/bottom side bar buttons.  One annoyance with them is if you close the window it will be removed from the sidebar list.  Reopening the window will put it back on the sidebar but in the bottom (or right most) position.

There doesn't seem to be a way to move/reorder these button positions and it'd be nice to have.  (IE currently I have Files, Backup History, FTP, Open and Symbols docked - Symbols is at the end because I accidentally closed it and when I reopened it, it went to the bottom of the list.  The only way I can figure out to move it is to close everything else).
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "side bar buttons".  Do you mean that you have your docked toolbars on the left and bottom set to auto-hide?  If so, you can reorder the tabs by turning off auto-hide, drag the tabs to the order you want, then re-enabling auto-hide.  If you meant something else, please disregard.

skywise

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:06:06 am »
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "side bar buttons".  Do you mean that you have your docked toolbars on the left and bottom set to auto-hide?  If so, you can reorder the tabs by turning off auto-hide, drag the tabs to the order you want, then re-enabling auto-hide.  If you meant something else, please disregard.

Yeah that's what I mean.  Thanks but I think I'm missing something in your explanation...I tried turning off auto-hide for symbols but its button disappeared.  I tried dragging the symbols form by its titlebar to the top of the tool bar but that did nothing and turning auto-hide back on put it back to the bottom of the list.  I turned auto-hide off on Symbols again and tried dragging around the remaining buttons but that just caused them to pop up their windows and made the Symbols window disappear until they all auto-hid again.

Docking and undocking ALL the windows "works" but it's a hassle (Yeah a tiny one in the big scheme of things but still an annoyance)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:11:26 am by skywise »

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 83
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
When I turn off auto-hide on the side bar the tabs or buttons don't disappear, but they do move from the side to the bottom.  Then I can drag them into whatever order I like.  When I turn auto-hide back on the tabs go back to the side but retain the order I set.

skywise

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:05:40 pm »
When I turn off auto-hide on the side bar the tabs or buttons don't disappear, but they do move from the side to the bottom.  Then I can drag them into whatever order I like.  When I turn auto-hide back on the tabs go back to the side but retain the order I set.

Hmm... how are you turning off auto-hide?  I'm doing it from the Symbols window itself.  Is there another place where it can be turned off globally?

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 83
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:25:14 pm »
I know two ways to turn off auto-hide:
  • Right click the top of the window to get a context menu and select auto-hide
  • Click on the push-pin icon at the top right of the window

There are probably other ways too, but I'm not aware of them.  They both do exactly the same things.  The push-pin icon changes from a horizontal to vertical orientation, the text windows get pushed over and the tabs move from the side to the bottom.

I've included a screen capture of the tabs in each position.  Please forgive my erasing of confidential stuff in the middle of the window.

- Tim

skywise

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
Thanks!  The screenshots help alot...

But I'm not seeing those bottom tabs appear when I turn off auto-hide.  I just see the symbol window itself...

Ahh, okay figured out the problem... I had each toolbar window as a standalone object that was hideable.  Once I docked the toolbar windows INTO the Symbol window (so they appeared as a tab) then I got the behavior you were describing.  (But once "hidden" they all appear as separate buttons...weird UI behavior...)

Thanks again!

chrisant

• Hero Points: 130
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 06:34:00 pm »
FWIW, the docking behavior is consistent with other IDEs.  Particularly the Visual Studio IDE.

skywise

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »
FWIW, the docking behavior is consistent with other IDEs.  Particularly the Visual Studio IDE.

Yeah... I hadn't realized that before... but then I don't use the VS IDE to any great extent anymore (except for debugging) and I had always used the VS toolbars "pre-grouped" as the IDE came shipped and never ungrouped them into separate docking widgets.  In SE I built that bar from scratch (probably because I've been steadily updating since VS 6)

I also just realized that both VS and SE "group" their buttons on the bar to show which ones are docked "together",
Although the "non-grouped" buttons are further spaced apart on the VS IDE which make them stand out as separate groupings.

FWIW, I have the same problem with the VS IDE.  It's not consistent with the toolbar behavior at the top of the screen.