Author Topic: Slickedit on Windows vs. Mac  (Read 12804 times)

tscott

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Slickedit on Windows vs. Mac
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
I use SlickEdit for Windows at work extensively and love it.  I recently purchased an iMac for home use and have installed Xcode on that...  It's okay (and the keyboard shortcuts show me that I haven't completely forgotten emacs from my college days), but I'm really missing the features that SlickEdit provides and the fact that almost everything I do in that context is second nature to me.

The questions I have are:

1) I'd like to try the trial version of SE on the Mac before committing to buy it.  The FAQ says that the trial is not the same as the full version -- so what is the difference?  I assume it's not enough to make the trial testing completely inaccurate, but I'm curious to know what the differences are.

2) How difficult would it be for me to take my SE for Windows configuration and port it over to the Mac version of SE?  At work I'm running 13.0.2.0.  This is one rev older than the current release if I'm not mistaken.

3) Are there any discounts available for doing the multi-platform thing?

4) What support is there for Xcode projects?  I think at the very worst, I can live with editing code completely within SE and having Xcode open for building and everything else.  Native support would be a nicety, but not necessarily a *must* for me.

Thanks,
--tim

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Slickedit on Windows vs. Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Is your "work" copy of Slick a Named User license or a concurrent user license?  If it's a named user, why not dual-boot or run Parallels Desktop to run Slick in the windows-native version?  Most of the Mac users I've seen in the boards have had gripes about the X-Windows interface used (as there is not a Cocoa-native version for the Mac). You could bypass that.

I have no idea how well Slick supports XCode.  No experience.

Jim

ehab

• Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »
i didn't find difference between trail and full except no update menu, but you can still do that with command line

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
That statement is out of date. In SlickEdit 2008 we changed our licensing so that the trial and full version are the exact same installation. The only difference is the license file used. So, once you install the trial, you can purchase SlickEdit and install the perpetual license using Help > License Manager.

We will update the erroneous FAQ entry. Thanks for bringing that to our attention!

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
My work copy is a named user license so I'm good there.  I don't have my iMac set up for dual-boot or virtual machines, so running the Windows version is not an option yet.  Good idea though, so I think I'll look into what it would take.

Thanks,
--tim

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Oops, I missed your other questions:

Re #2) Thjat's not a supported operation. You certainly can't copy the config directory since that picks up some binary files as well as text files. In SlickEdit 2009 (v14) we have the capability to export and import options. We have not tested this cross-platform and cannot guarantee it will work. For most options, it should. SlickEdit 2008 does have the capability to export key bindings, and that should work across platforms.

Re #3) Call sales for any applicable discounts. We do offer bundles, but I don't know about upgrading from a single license to a bundle.

Re #4) I believe we have relatively good support for Xcode, though I think there is currently an issue with their latest version. I'd be interested in hearing from Mac users what their experience is with Xcode. A native version of SlickEdit for the Mac is not currently in the plan, sorry.

buggyfunbunny

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »
Re #3) Call sales for any applicable discounts. We do offer bundles, but I don't know about upgrading from a single license to a bundle.

They did it for me:  windoze to linux/win.  I didn't do the arithmetic with regards to cost, however.  It may be that I just paid the difference between single and bundle at that moment.  Which is fair, so far as I am concerned.  A gift would have been a steep discount for long term loyalty   ::)   FWIW, I didn't like the wine experience with SE, although it did work passably.

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 01:14:09 AM »
FWIW, I've been able to run the Windows version of SlickEdit using a trial version of Crossover for the iMac.  Crossover is located here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

I haven't put it through the paces yet, but my good ol' Brief emulation seems to be functioning.  Woot!

On the downside, it wasn't able to open up an Xcode project file.  I try to open up my "project.pbxproj" file by going to "Project > Other Project Files > Xcode Project...", but get an error that states "The version of this file is not supported."

--tim

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »
@tscott
Tim:
What version of Xcode are you using, and what type of project/application did you create? We've had a couple users report problems with the latest Xcode that was part of the iPhone SDK. I just upgraded my MacBook to Leopard, installed Xcode 3.1.2, and have not been able to reproduce the problem. And I really want to get a fix in for this in the 14.0.1 service release.

My "About Xcode" reports version 3.1.2, IDE 1149.0, Core 1148.0, Tools Support 1102.0

Christoph

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
FWIW, I've been able to run the Windows version of SlickEdit using a trial version of Crossover for the iMac.  Crossover is located here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

How were you able to get this working?  I downloaded and installed the trial version of crossover and used it's installer to install my licensed windows version of SE2k9.  The install process seemed to go off w/o a hitch but when I try to start anything in the new SE2k9 folder (either of the PDFs or either of the executables), nothing happens.  I'm presented with no error but the app never runs or the file never opens.  I've tried clicking on the icons in the CrossOver applications folder and I've tried Programs -> SlickEdit 2009 from the CrossOver menu bar.  Am I missing something?

I've got a Macbook Pro 1.8Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM, running Leopard.

thnx,
Christoph

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
@tscott
Tim:
What version of Xcode are you using, and what type of project/application did you create? We've had a couple users report problems with the latest Xcode that was part of the iPhone SDK. I just upgraded my MacBook to Leopard, installed Xcode 3.1.2, and have not been able to reproduce the problem. And I really want to get a fix in for this in the 14.0.1 service release.

My "About Xcode" reports version 3.1.2, IDE 1149.0, Core 1148.0, Tools Support 1102.0

I'm using the Xcode version that comes with the latest version of the iPhone SDK 2.0.  The project file itself comes from the Box2D iPhone port.  Box2D is a 2-d physics engine (google is your friend).  I can give you more detailed version information after work tonight.

--tim

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »

How were you able to get this working?  I downloaded and installed the trial version of crossover and used it's installer to install my licensed windows version of SE2k9.  The install process seemed to go off w/o a hitch but when I try to start anything in the new SE2k9 folder (either of the PDFs or either of the executables), nothing happens.  I'm presented with no error but the app never runs or the file never opens.  I've tried clicking on the icons in the CrossOver applications folder and I've tried Programs -> SlickEdit 2009 from the CrossOver menu bar.  Am I missing something?

Yep, I ran into the same problem.  There's an option with CrossOver to run apps from the command line.  I chose that and navigated to the Program Files\Slickedit (or whatever) directory and selected the 'vs.exe'.  Running that works.  You can then tell CrossOver to add this command-line to your Programs menu and run it from there from that point on.

So far I've had one instance where it's locked up and I had to do a hard kill on the SE process from CrossOver.  I lost all the settings that I had made up to that point which was frustrating.  The SE project I created, though, remained intact so it wasn't a total loss.  The second time through, I made sure to exit from SE after tweaking things.  Hopefully this "commits" my settings so if it locks up again, those will not disappear.

Good luck.

--tim

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

My "About Xcode" matches yours.  Once again, I'm using the Xcode project from Box2D: http://sourceforge.net/projects/box2d

--tim

tscott

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:59 AM »
FWIW, I'm now an 'advocate' for SlickEdit with CrossOver.  You can find some information here:  http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2814

--tim

lclevesy

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
Thank you for your interest in SlickEdit offering a native Mac version. We are excited to announce that native Mac support will be offered in 2012. View the announcement here: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7110.0.