Author Topic: slickedit 14 doesn't recorgnize ftp files  (Read 6344 times)

livingintown

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
slickedit 14 doesn't recorgnize ftp files
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
this is new in vs14, I don't know if this is intension to change it or bug. In previous version, use ftp to open remote files will also create local copies in your disk. then in the building window or message list window, mouse click will jump into ftp file it opened.

However, this logic is being changed, while click will re-open the local file it saved by ftp, not the ftp one. any modification you made will not in the ftp-open file. it seems vs doesn't recognize the relationship between ftp and local save.

Any thoughts?

Dan

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 54
Re: slickedit 14 doesn't recorgnize ftp files
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are describing here.

I tried putting together a likely scenario:
1) Open 'foo.cpp' via ftp so you have local file: c:\...\foo.cpp and document name: ftp://.../foo.cpp
2) Introduce error into foo.cpp
3) Make sure foo.cpp is in a project that has a Build>Compile tool (or something which outputs to the Build window and captures errors)
4) Run the Compile tool on the file

Double-clicking on an error from the Build window or Message List window correctly places my cursor at the location of the error in the ftp://.../foo.cpp document that I currently have open.

Please give me exact steps to reproduce the problem. The simpler the better.

--rodney

livingintown

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:02:15 AM »
thanks for your reply. The building is done in server side, I setup a remote ssh session to do remote building, and I modified the building command to do so.
so the step becomes,
1) ftp to open a remote file, foo.cpp
2) this file get saved locally, then I include this foo.cpp in local disk into projects. Normally, the ftp local save will be on HOME directory, but after I modified "remote to local directory mapping" in ftp property, it was saved to the directory I set.
3) invoke remote building command, ssh username@machine remotebuilding to do the building, then result of error, warning will show up on building window as well as in message window.

In v13, when I click error message either in message window or building window, it will jump into the ftp files I opened, however in v14, it changed to re-open the local save file instead of ftp one.

Let me know if I didn't make it clear. I guess using remote file and remote building are common among big firm since the building environment is so complicated.

Regards,
Dan

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
Okay. I have set up the same scenario as I understand it on my machine. It works for me.

My local machine is Windows.
My remote machine is Linux and is called 'linux'.
I have a local project in 'c:\project\remote_linux\'
I have a remote file '/home/rodney/foo.cpp'.
I have an FTP profile set up to connect to 'linux' and map /home/rodney/foo.cpp => c:\project\remote_linux
I connect via FTP, ftp-open /home/rodney/foo.cpp
I now have open ftp://linux/home/rodney/foo.cpp which is exactly the same as local c:\project\remote_linux\foo.cpp
My editor window title bar caption is: ftp://linux/home/rodney/foo.cpp
I now bring up the Build window and ssh into my 'linux' box: ssh rodney@linux
I now issue my compile command:
Code: [Select]
[/home/rodney]$ g++ -o junk junk.cpp
g++ -o junk junk.cpp
junk.cpp: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
junk.cpp:5: error: 'i' was not declared in this scope
[/home/rodney]$
I now double-click on the error line: junk.cpp: 5: error: 'i' was not declared in this scope
I am taken to my open file: ftp://linux/home/rodney/foo.cpp and my cursor is placed on line 5

That's it. It works. Note that the error messages output do not have any paths on them. If they did we would not know what to do with them since we have no facility to map a remote-to-local path when parsing errors.

Perhaps your FTP remote-to-local mapping's local-directory is different from your project's working directory. When you double-click on an error line it is picking up the local file in your working directory and not the one opened via FTP because they are not the same.

That's all I've got.

--rodney

livingintown

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »
ok, I re-create profile directory, and resetting every thing. It seems to work now! Thanks for the help any way!

Is it possible slickedit treat ftp files as normal files, because in lots of software firms, remote development is the only option.

Dan

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
One interesting side nit to this...

If you have the FTP'd file open, disconnect from the FTP session then reconnect and then navigate on the FTP tree and double click to reopen the file you get the already opened window with the cached contents.

Is that by design and, if so, is there any setting to disable caching of FTP files in this manner? (I was trying to decipher logs this morning from a server and lost about 30 minutes before I realized my fixes weren't having any effect because I was looking at the same log...)

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
@skywise: Sorry, there is no syncing facility that would check the timestamp/filesize of the ftp file you are opening and re-open the file if there were a newer version available. I will make sure it is logged in our feature tracker.

@livingintown: There is currently no facility to "treat ftp files as normal files" as you say. Though this feature may be added in future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--rodney

livingintown

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
Well, I suggest you guys to seriously consider the way of using ftp files, this is going to benefit a lot for people who are doing remote development.