Author Topic: Failed to open:  (Read 5822 times)

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 92
Failed to open:
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »
My project is a Visual Studio Solution file.  It contains a lot of projects.  Several of the projects are disabled in Visual Studio.  The disabled projects contain references to non-existent files.

Every time I search for something in the workspace I get told about the non-existant files with a lot of "Failed to open:" messages.  It would be really nice if either SlickEdit understood the solution better so it ignored those files or if there was a way to tell it not to list the missing files.

This is a pretty minor issue, but I deal with it several times a day.

- Tim

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Failed to open:
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »
If you disabled it using Unload Project, I'm pretty sure that information is stored in the Solution options file (.suo).  We don't do anything with that file, it's a binary file and undocumented AFAIK.  Not much we can do there.  However, I will file a feature request to see if we can let you optionally disable the warning message.  Do you get this message during Find in Files or some other operation?

Tim Kemp

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:47:14 PM »
Disabling the warning would be great.  I did get it during Find in Files.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Kemp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
*PING* Has there been any progress on disabling the pop-up?  I know I can modify it myself, but I hate changing the official SlickEdit files.

I am still having a pop-up dialog every time I do a search telling me that it can't find a file.  I click on ignore all and it goes merrily upon it's way.  However... I have to click on a dialog box every time I search through all the files in the project and I do that a lot.

Scott H

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks for the bump, I hadn't seen this post before.  I made some changes to support nested projects in Visual Studio solutions and I'm trying to replicate this.  A few questions... how did you disable the project in Visual Studio?  It auto-disables it if I rename the directory that the project's in, but is there a manual way to do it?  When I load the solution in SlickEdit with the disabled project, SlickEdit creates a node for that project with no files underneath, and when I do a workspace-wide search, I get no "Failed to open:" errors.  Can you tell me specifically how those VS projects became disabled?

Tim Kemp

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
I'm no longer at the company where I originally reported this.  At my current company they just have a bunch of old include files that aren't there anymore and the owner of the project didn't bother to remove them in Visual Studio.  I'm the only one using SlickEdit and it doesn't cause problems for anyone else.  If I could just disable that dialog and have it ignore missing files I'd be happy.

As for the disabled projects, I don't know how they were disabled.  I thought it was as simple as right clicking on the project in VS, but I don't see it.

- Tim