Author Topic: Dumb Smart Open question  (Read 2389 times)

mrothman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Dumb Smart Open question
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:36 pm »
Or should that be smart smart open question?  Anyway, after a robust exchange in another thread, and following closely the latest patches, I went ahead and upgraded my Linux version today, and applied the latest hotfixes.  Now, I have a question about the directory pane in smart open.  The doc implies that it will show the path to the current directory (and that's what I'd expect).  And it does.  But it also seems to show the path to the last few directories I've visited.  That is, it leaves the knobs turned down to any leaf folder I've visited.  I don't particularly have any objections to this, I'm just checking that it's correct behavior, rather than any cruft left behind by my beta testing.

Also, I wonder what effect this has on the number of file handles open.  During the beta, I got a lot of errors complaining that SlickEdit couldn't open a file (when I only had about 20 or so open), and it seemed related to how much stuff was showing in the directory window (although I never proved it).  So far, no similar problem with the release (after only an hour of using it of course).

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Dumb Smart Open question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
Also, I wonder what effect this has on the number of file handles open.  During the beta, I got a lot of errors complaining that SlickEdit couldn't open a file (when I only had about 20 or so open), and it seemed related to how much stuff was showing in the directory window (although I never proved it).  So far, no similar problem with the release (after only an hour of using it of course).
Typically a tree view of a directory hierarchy is built by traversing the hierarchy.  At each point, an algorithm opens a handle, queries data, closes the handle.  Once the data structures are built up in memory, no handles are open, and rendering does not involve any file system IO.  So unless the editor is leaking handles (which I doubt, but should be simple to check with a resource monitoring tool) the directory window should not have any impact on file handles.