Author Topic: maven  (Read 14154 times)

rod_gomz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
maven
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
How hard would it be for Slickedit to support Maven projects?

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: maven
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
What are Maven products, and what support is desired?

By the way, do not Google for "maven products"...
Instead I assume that Googling for "maven" is the right thing because at least the first hit is related to software.

buggyfunbunny

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »
What are Maven products, and what support is desired?

By the way, do not Google for "maven products"...
Instead I assume that Googling for "maven" is the right thing because at least the first hit is related to software.

maven projects are java projects which use maven rather than ant (which SE supports) as make.

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
I like to be able to point to a pom.xml file with SlickEdit and have SE open the project up. Then I can run the targets, debug, etc...

GregK

• New Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
I second the nomination!  I would love to be able to open my maven projects directly in SE just as easily as I can open my VisualStudio projects.

GregKrasnow

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
And it would also be really cool if it would then automatically tag any jars listed in the dependencies... I love to dream.

GregKrasnow

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
Is anyone from SlickEdit looking at this?  It would be nice to know if being able to directly import a maven project file is even on the radar.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
Sorry, that's not currently on the radar. For us it comes down to effort versus number of customers/potential customers who would benefit. That's always the hard part about these decisions--figuring out if enough people would benefit to warrant the effort.

I'll have someone take a look at this and see what we think it would take to implement it. And I'll try to see how broadly Maven is used out there.

Ping me again in a month if you don't hear anything.

GregKrasnow

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
Fully understandable.  I have been in the SW industry long enough to know that you can't give everyone everything.  Anyway, just curious if you took a look at this yet.  Thanks.

Sorry, that's not currently on the radar. For us it comes down to effort versus number of customers/potential customers who would benefit. That's always the hard part about these decisions--figuring out if enough people would benefit to warrant the effort.

I'll have someone take a look at this and see what we think it would take to implement it. And I'll try to see how broadly Maven is used out there.

Ping me again in a month if you don't hear anything.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
It's hard to gauge the actual demand for this feature. It looks fairly straightforward. Unfortunately, we're winding down our feature development for SlickEdit 2010, and there won't be time to do anything with it. We'll keep it as a possibility for next year.

In the meantime, it should be fairly easy to set up Tools in the Build menu to call command lines for the Maven targets. Likewise, it should be fairly quick to setup new projects in SlickEdit. For Java, most (all?) of the projects I've done used a single source tree. I didn't separate projects in SlickEdit since they built as a whole.

Can you tell me more about your use of Maven that will help me understand whether this workaround is as easy as I'm saying?

Bob Lee

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
I have been using Maven for several years and was just setting up a new project when I checked for SE Maven and found this thread.  Maven is much more powerful and I think more straight forward than Ant in setting up and managing projects.  I have used maven from inside SE, but that is very rudimentary compared to what could be done.  I think a simple start would be worthwhile.

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Please add support for maven to SlickEdit.

Maven automates the classpath and the downloading of artifacts.

There are many users using maven now.

Also add a run/debug configurations, i.e. launcher. I would like to be able to have many targets in SE that I can then point to certain projects.

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 21
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
Just happened across this old thread and thought readers might like to know that this is available in SlickEdit 2012.

'Project > Open Other Workspace > Maven Project File...'

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
I tried it and it works. I'm still evaluating it. It is nice that once a maven project is opened I'm able to access the java files and build a project.

A few things that would be nice: index the libraries in the POM. When I do a search for a class it can't find the references because they are in a library/jar. How can we add libraries referenced in the POM to slickedit?

Also, can we have the option to add a maven project into a workspace instead of having a maven project be a maven workspace as it currently is?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Actually, after "opening other workspace" I was able to find a .vpj file. I then added the new project to my existing workspace. So this works nicely. As for indexing the referenced libraries, I will need to do an import on each pom.xml and then add the new .vpj to my workspace.

I suppose the workspace requirement comes into play so that the built-in build commands are issued on a given pom. This is OK when the workspace has only one pom. Though, I prefer to use SE as an indexer and code browser than as a build tool because SE is more performant and has nice code/navigation features.

Rodrigo