Author Topic: Hotfix 15 messes up buttons on DIFFzilla Files Tab  (Read 4135 times)

davea

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Hotfix 15 messes up buttons on DIFFzilla Files Tab
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:51:52 pm »
With a 'clean' run of v14.0.0.7 (on WinXP) the DIFFzilla Files Tab is ok but after applying hotfix 15, the right side is now 'cropped'.

Specifically, the Ellipses buttons (browse for a file or directory) are now 'barely there' and the B buttons (select open buffer) are now 'gone'.

See attached before and after pics.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:12:08 am by davea »

jb

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Hotfix 15 messes up buttons on DIFFzilla Files Tab
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »
Yes. I have observed the same problem on two Windows XP SP3 installations.
One is using the DPI setting "Large size (120 DPI)" and as far as I remember the other one is using "Normal size (96 DPI)". Some GUI applications have problems with either setting, but DIFFzilla seems to have problems with both settings.
(The Windows XP DPI setting is visible in dialog "MyMonitor and MyDisplayAdapter Properties > General" which is reachable via "Display Properties > Settings > Advanced".)

davea

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »
Because so many applications have issues when Windows is configured to use 'Large Fonts', I make sure to never use anything but the default "Normal size (96 DPI)" setting on any of my systems.  :)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 81
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:41:20 pm »
This will be fixed in the next hot fix and the upcoming 14.0.1.

buggyfunbunny

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:13 pm »
Because so many applications have issues when Windows is configured to use 'Large Fonts', I make sure to never use anything but the default "Normal size (96 DPI)" setting on any of my systems.  :)

There is a problem with doing that, though.  On an LCD, unless you set the DPI to the exact value, for example on a 17" at 1440x900 it's 100, you get fuzz.  Some of the frames run off without scrolls, alas.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »
There is a problem with doing that, though.  On an LCD, unless you set the DPI to the exact value, for example on a 17" at 1440x900 it's 100, you get fuzz.  Some of the frames run off without scrolls, alas.
Get fuzz for what?

If you crank DPI up past 96, then for example small/large icons are no longer necessarily 16x16/32x32 (etc), and icons (and various other things) become distorted.  I get varying degrees of distortion when adjusting the DPI higher than 96.  Maybe 100 is a small enough increase that the usual forms of distortion don't yet appear.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:40 pm »
This will be fixed in the next hot fix and the upcoming 14.0.1.
Will the symbol diff be put back as well?  It was gone in the original v14, one of the hotfixes (can't remember which) seemed to have (kind of) put it back, and now it's missing with HF15.  Perhaps it's my memory that needs hotfixing?  :-)

Still, symbol compare is very useful, and in v14 HF15, I can't even find the bits to compare using the line number ranges.

buggyfunbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:46:08 pm »
Get fuzz for what?

If you crank DPI up past 96, then for example small/large icons are no longer necessarily 16x16/32x32 (etc), and icons (and various other things) become distorted.  I get varying degrees of distortion when adjusting the DPI higher than 96.  Maybe 100 is a small enough increase that the usual forms of distortion don't yet appear.

Text gets a bit fuzzy, because 96 DPI doesn't line up with the physical DPI:  100 for 1440x900 on 17" widescreen, the horiz. is 14.4 inches, the vert. is 9.0 inches.  I can see the difference, anyway.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:46:52 pm »
Never mind, the blank drop down list contains all that.  With it defaulting to blank, just below the file/dir name field, it looks more like a blank filespec field than anything else, so I didn't look at it until after I posted the original.  I guess it would be clearer if it contained the default compare type.