Author Topic: Debugging with Java Project  (Read 6772 times)

gbonneau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Debugging with Java Project
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
1- I have a bad time debugging a Java project with the plugin installed. When Eclipse switches to the Debug Perspective I lost the behavior to display the value of an object or type when I surf the mouse over the object in the display windows.

2- My Java Project have many threads and when the running project stop on a breakpoint I'm trying to follow the thread stack by pointing on the calling methods of the threads that is paused by the breakpoint. I expect (this is the default behavior when slickedit is not installed) that pointing on the method will open the java code class that own the class. Unfortunately it doesn't. SlickEdit seems to always switch back to the display windows of the last method on the top stack.

Note: I'm using Eclipse Ganymede 3.4.2 R2 and have the Brief editor setting.

The post of Tomerk about SlickEdit Code in debuggiing mode describes about the same problem as mine.

Because of these problems I would like to have SlickEdit plugin been disabled when I start debugging a project in Eclipse. It is possible to setup this behavior?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:48:01 PM by gbonneau »

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Debugging with Java Project
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
When Eclipse switches to the Debug Perspective I lost the behavior to display the value of an object or type when I surf the mouse over the object in the display windows.

This has been asked for numerous times on this forum after we released Core 3.4.0, and will be available in Core 3.5.0 when debugging with Java, C/C++, PHP, and hopefully Flex (assuming they release an Eclipse 3.5-compatible product).  The Java tooltips will probably not be as detailed as those you see now, with JDT, as they have a more advanced control for displaying their tooltips.

I know that it is very convenient to have this feature, but we didn't deem it critical enough to hotfix for 3.4.0 because you can still track the values of any variables either by creating a watch expression, or looking at the Variables view.

I expect (this is the default behavior when slickedit is not installed) that pointing on the method will open the java code class that own the class. Unfortunately it doesn't. SlickEdit seems to always switch back to the display windows of the last method on the top stack.

Is there anyway you could post screenshots of what you are seeing?  Like one where you show the method you are clicking in the stack frame, while showing what file/method is opened?  Is it only happening when there isn't any source code available for the method you click on, and it needs to open the .class file rather than a .java file?

Because of these problems I would like to have SlickEdit plugin been disabled when I start debugging a project in Eclipse.  It is possible to setup this behavior?

Unfortunately Eclipse doesn't allow you to set up File Associations by extension...I think the only way to accomplish this is to go to the File Associations list at Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations before you debug and set the default editor for Java to be JDT instead of SlickEdit  :-\.  Then change it back after debugging.  I'll let you know if I can find a way to write a command to do this for you...this would allow you to do it on a keypress.

- Ryan

gbonneau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Debugging with Java Project
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:31:18 PM »
Thanks I will try to see if I can get you a screenshoot.

Thanks