Poll

Which language do you primarily develop in?

C/C++
73 (75.3%)
C#
5 (5.2%)
HTML
0 (0%)
Java
4 (4.1%)
JavaScript
1 (1%)
Perl
1 (1%)
PHP
6 (6.2%)
Python
4 (4.1%)
Ruby
1 (1%)
SQL
2 (2.1%)
XML
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Which language do you primarily develop in?  (Read 15356 times)

jjones

« on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:32:36 PM by Jason »

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Re: Which language do you primarily develop in?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »
I think I need to add a comment that I do maybe 40% of my work in Matlab (doing simulations and examining the results, analyzing flight test data, wind tunnel data, and other data).  I write a lot of Matlab scripts/functions (m-files) to do this analysis.  The Matlab folks ("Mathworks") have done a pretty good job of providing an editing/debugging environment.  I just thought I should mention this since it wasn't on your original survey list.

MichaelBate

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
I would like to add a comment.

I chose C# as the language that I primarily use because I am using it heavily on a new project.  But I also do a great deal of work in Delphi (Object Pascal).  Delphi should have been listed as one of the choices, and I would have selected it if it had been.  Both C# and Delphi provide the power of C++ without all the ugliness.

Also I do a great deal of HTML/CSS/JavaScript web development.

And finally I have some ancient Cobol legacy code that I still maintain, but I would never start a new project in that language.

- Michael Bate

magpie

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »
Just in case anyone thinks this reflects the industry popularity, compare this with :
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
Clearly developers on more current languages are not using SlickEdit and therefore not voting here.
eg. Java, currently the most popular language, has only 5% representation here!

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:52 PM »
I don't think that the survey results are all that meaningful because it only gave you a single choice. Picking, say, the top 3 languages would have boosted Java quite a bit.

Marcel

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
Just in case anyone thinks this reflects the industry popularity, compare this with :
Clearly developers on more current languages are not using SlickEdit and therefore not voting here.
C/C++ are so closely related that it's a little interesting that survey separates them.  If you combine them, then C/C++ is dominant.  I don't care what the survey shows, I'm just calling out that the results are open to interpretation.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »

• Java is currently the number one academic language.
  • Academics post more web content than professionals.
  • These results were based on the number of web page hits.

Anyone else think the TIOBE poll might be just a little bit biased?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:53 PM »
AFAIK programming for the real world is mostly done in C/C++.
Just my 2ct, HS2

mitcheljh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
I don't think that the survey results are all that meaningful because it only gave you a single choice....

Marcel

+1 to that...
C++ my primary, with HTML being a close second.  You can't beat SlickEdit's versatile html formating capabilities.

buggyfunbunny

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
AFAIK programming for the real world is mostly done in C/C++.
Just my 2ct, HS2

Depends on your world.  In the Fortune X00 world, it's COBOL by a mile, at least (I tried to push that boulder up a hill).  The math and stat languages on Wall Street, with a some Lisp thrown in.  In the Slickedit world, may be not so much COBOL; that support was extra $$ for a while, then SE (I guess) gave up and dumped it in.  The Web world is not so much C/C++ or even straight java; it's Frameworks, based on java, php, python, ruby, ColdFusion, et al.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 06:44:03 PM by buggyfunbunny »

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Depends on your world
Right, that's true of course. That's what I tried to express with real world because I'm working in the embedded world dealing with real devices most of the time.
So the term embedded would have been better and less misleading.
However, I'm aware of the other worlds if it's of any use to seperate things this way.
So maybe there should be surveys for each world - if any ;)
HS2

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Ummm... how did this develop into a language war? So far as I can see, the survey is quite narrowly defined: which language do you primarily develop in? Some people will spread themselves very evenly, but most of us tend to use one language in particular. For the people on here, using Slickedit, if we assume no-one fibbed then the results are very very accurate :)

Over on that other site the criteria is different. Their survey is presumably very very accurate too, but it's a different survey and measures something very different. You cannot compare that one to this one, and in particular you can't extrapolate from that one and suggest that this one is inaccurate - how many of the language mentions on all those websites were from SE users?

As an aside, I'm deeply sceptical about using the results of Google searches to prove anything. For all we know, 300million of those hits could be along the lines of "doesn't java suck!". But you'll never find out because Google won't show you. If you do a search for "Java" (does that automatically exclude coffee or what?) you get results 1-10 of "about 349,000,000". Unfortunately, the number you can actually look at is only 984:

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&cof=&q=java&start=990&sa=N&filter=0

And I seriously doubt that the tiobe automated collator actually reads 1 of those 984, just to check.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 92
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »
Actually they say that for Java their search was http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"java+programming".  I don't know that the results of that are any better than yours, but that's what they used.

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
I guess 609 from an alleged 2,790,000 is a better ratio :)

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
Ummm... how did this develop into a language war?

Well, let's see if we can move this from a language war to a future of SE war...   :)

We all know the poll is flawed from a statistical point of view, depending on what you want to use it for - the sample is self-selecting, etc., etc.

But let's assume that it reflects something about SE's user base more or less accurately - that a majority of SE's users primarily develop in C/C++.

Does this mean that the SE product team should focus on continued improvements to C/C++ support (since that's what they currently successfully sell to), or does it mean that they should focus on improving features for other languages (since they have C/C++ 'cornered', look for growth in the areas where there is growth to be had)?

Discuss.