Author Topic: Multiple monitors, one window per monitor (SDI?)  (Read 6192 times)

rod_gomz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Multiple monitors, one window per monitor (SDI?)
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:13:22 pm »
Having one parent window, the SlickEDIT window, at times is limiting. I used SE in many ways, including as an text editor, file viewer, PL/SQL development, and code browser, and having only one window limits me, because I could have a data file in one window/monitor and a code file in an another, not using my other monitor is inefficient. I've tried JEdit, it seems actually fairly good, but I'm so used to SE's features, features like block editing, speed in viewing large data files, nativeness, optimization, and maturity, that it is hard to adopt/justify changing.

I ask for the ability to chose between MDI and SDI.

Rodrigo Gomez

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Multiple monitors, one window per monitor (SDI?)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:33:10 pm »
Would it be reasonable to launch a second instance of slick?  vs +new would do that.  Perhaps two shortcuts, one that does +new with a second configuration directory would effectively completely segregate the environments. 

Got the item from here:
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2537.0

best,
Jim

rod_gomz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:58 pm »
Thanks Jim.

I had no clue about that option! That will work really well!

Rodrigo Gomez

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:02 am »
It's been a while since I tried the +new trick, but I remember last time I did that there were issues with the tag files, or perhaps it was with sharing the same external vcproj projects. 

Maybe I should give it a try again in v14

jimlangrunner

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:46 pm »
It may or may not make a difference, but if there is, does using a different configuration directory affect it? I don't use the -sc switch often (just to troubleshoot), but it does seem to segregate things nicely.  And as Rodrigo explained it, it seems to be a candidate for different projects as well. 

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all of the intricacies of configs and tag files - I simply don't use them enough to be an authority.  But I think that should do the trick.

Jim

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:26 pm »
Ah, right, two config directories, two projects ..  I glazed over that, because frankly with email, phone, IMs going off all the the same time, if I've got to work on two code bases at once I'll explode.  :)

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:43:58 pm »
It's not something that requires two config directories, just two separate workspaces, since the workspace tagfile is built in the same directory as the workspace file.  Opening the same workspace in two instances of SE will result in annoying conflicts, but the only issue with running two SE instances is conflicts in saving config changes on exiting one of the instances.  If you don't actually make config changes, the error is benign.

jimlangrunner

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:16 pm »
Thanks, Phil.  I'd been contemplating it, but wasn't sure, and the whole workplace/project thing is still not the clearest thing to me.  That fills in some gaps.

Jim

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »
When you run multiple instances of SlickEdit, only the first instance will be able to update your configuration. All subsequent instances will output a message saying that they cannot save the configuration when you exit.

So, if you plan to make changes to how SlickEdit is configured (i.e. what font, colors, indent, etc.), it's best to do that when you are only running a single instance of SlickEdit. You can run from different configuration directories, but then you have the problem of different instances not all sharing the same user preferences.

We would love to offer people the choice of MDI or SDI, but that choice was made quite long ago and would require significant rewriting to change. Some people use the additional monitors to position the various tool windows they use. They can be dragged outside the application window. They can't be docked together out there, but they can be positioned to allow you to see more with all that space.