Author Topic: 10.0.3 trap creating Java file  (Read 3964 times)

ckotan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
10.0.3 trap creating Java file
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:04:15 am »
I've been a SE / VSE customer a dozen years or more, almost never have a prob. Should I just delete the Configuration directory?

This is the simplest I can make this test case.  I created a file TestClass.java

public class TestClass
{
}
I type the first line which gets a error (red X).  When I type the opening brace (and the closing brace gets created by vs,  vs traps.

I deleted created a new .sta file (thanks Graeme).  The symptoms changed to the extent that I typed in a whole class and VS trapped when I saved the file.  Same trap location.  The MD5 Graeme gave me is different from what I get with file analyze, but both of my machines running 10.0.3 have the same MD5 on vsRTE.dll.  Of course the other machine seems to work fine.

I’ve done java with this editor install three or four years ago, so wonder if it’s some setting in my VS.
I have the v10 CD, but I downloaded the 10.0.1, 2, and 3 and don't have the install zips.  Any help much appreciated.

Charlie
----------
Error signature: vs.exe 10.0.3.0  ModName: vsrte.dll  ModVer:0.0.0.0 Offset:00019de0
Exception information: 0xc0000005  Record: all 0's  Address:0x000000001919de0

Support Info:

SlickEdit Version 10.0.3 Copyright 1988-2005 SlickEdit Inc.

Serial number: WB311102

Technical Support Phone: 1 919.473.0070
Technical Support Email: support@slickedit.com
Contact Product Support: click here
View Maintenance Details: click here

Build Date: October 27, 2005
Emulation: CUA

Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 2

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\10.0.3\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Configuration Drive Usage: 75822MB / 97682MB

Memory Load: 55%
Physical Memory Usage: 705MB / 2097MB
Page File Usage: 995MB / 4194MB
Virtual Memory Usage: 65MB / 2097MB

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 330
Re: 10.0.3 trap creating Java file
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:28 pm »
Should I just delete the Configuration directory?

Since it might not be the problem, you shouldn't delete it without backing it up, unless it doesn't take you long to re-create your settings.  Did you try the -sc switch thing I suggested.  To see if it's the configuration folder that's the problem, close slick and rename your existing config folder.  Then start slick and it will create a new config folder  - then see if slick still crashes.

The MD5 Graeme gave me is different from what I get with file analyze
Sorry about that - that was 10.0.2 I gave you!  :)

If you have 10.0.3 on another machine, maybe you could copy the slick installation folder to the machine with the problem.  If you overwrite the existing installation folder, all your registry settings should still be valid.  Maybe you could diff the two folders before overwriting.  Examdiffpro can compare binary files - http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp

It looks like I have the 10.0.3 25 MB installer file here if you want it, but I'd have to get permission to send it to you first.

Graeme

ckotan

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:22:27 pm »
Yes, I deleted the .sta (thot I mentioned that with a thanks to you).  It now seems that slickedit crashes whenever I open any java file, with the same error and address. Curious.  I thought about copying the vslick directory from the other machine.

If you could send me the name of 10.0.3 installer I can search my drives in case I stuffed it somewhere obscure.  I thought about copying install from other machine - glad to know you can still do that.  In the early days I kept the .exe on a floppy with other utilities so I could work on friends machines without going to edlin or notepad.

Tnx,  Graeme,

Charlie

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:26:43 pm »
I don't know if you've tried this, but in the case that the problem is real time errors (which was completely redone in version 12) you can shut this off under Build > Java Options > Live Errors > Enable Live Errors.

- Ryan

ckotan

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:01:57 pm »
Ryan - disabled it and that may have fixed the problem!!  Thanks a million. Fingers crossed!!

Charlie