Author Topic: Slickedit choking RDz  (Read 7011 times)

DaveyC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Slickedit choking RDz
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
I use the slickedit core in RDz. Everything is cool for a while and then bam! RDz locks up on startup. If I take Slickedit out it
works fine? I use a licence file, could that be the issue? Is slickedit blocking on a network call or something?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Slickedit choking RDz
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
Did this just start happening recently?  You've been using this configuration for a while, no?

I'm downloading a trial of RDz v7.5 to see if I can figure out anything, but I can tell you that nothing from SlickEdit is doing anything involving a network connection on startup if you are using a license file with Core 3.4.0.

I'm not sure what "choked" means, but from what you are saying it sounds like RDz is loading and then it just sits there...and never opens the workspace? Is that accurate?  What happens if you open RDz with a different workspace?  If that works, can you switch back to the original one without problem?

Two things to investigate:

• This should not cause a lockup, but your license file isn't expired, is it?  If you are on Vista you can find it at C:\ProgramData\slickeditcore\VERSION and there should be an issued date and an expiration date in there.  Not that you would but don't monkey with any of the characters in that file or else it won't be valid anymore :).
  • If the RDz executable will allow you to pass it arguments, like eclipse.exe would, you can run it like so: PATH\TO\RDz.exe -vm java.exe -vstrace.  This will pop open an output window when you start RDz and as soon as Core is loading it will write debug output to that window.  If it freezes you should be able to look at that window and either copy/paste that info here or just take a screenshot and post it.  That might give a hint as to what is going on.

- Ryan

kevin.w.zhang

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Slickedit choking RDz
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:58:23 AM »
Hi, Ryan, I've done as you advice and it's working. Thanks so much for your patient explaination.

Kevin