Author Topic: SlickEdit File New  (Read 4286 times)

underdog

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit File New
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:30:17 pm »
Is there a way to add or delete file types in the New dialog window that is displayed when a New file is created? Or is there a way to not display the New dialog and go directly to edit mode?

My OS is windows 2000 and my SlickEdit version is 10 and 11.

Thanks

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
Re: SlickEdit File New
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:57:10 pm »
Yep - here 'Tools->Options->File Options -> File Filters - Tab'

HS2

Edit:
And yes: on cmdline: 'e my_new_file.my_extension'
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:00:00 pm by hs2 »

underdog

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:35:19 pm »
That added a filter for File/Open and File/Save but it did not change the list of file types in the File/New window.

Sorry to be a bother but when I click on the Help button in the File/New window I get a alert that says "Help item 'New File Tab' not found" and a search in help for File new doesn't help.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:22:17 am »
I afraid I din't get you right.
You mean the list of pre-defined file types in the 'File->New' dialog. This lists only the file types associated to the supported workspaces/projects.
I thought you just wanted to create a new file ...
For this purpose use 'File->Open'. You'll be asked to create it, if it's not there ;)
Same applies to the 'e' command on cmdline.

Help is ok here (v11.02) for both File/New and 'File Options'. You should install the lastest patch.

HS2

underdog

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:54:45 pm »
I finally figured it out. It was Tools/Options/File Extension Setup and click the New button. I added the new extension and that extension now shows up in the list of file types in the File/New dialog.

It would be nice if the New dialog window was an option. I would like to do File/New and go straight into a blank file.

I've not using a workspace.

Yes the e filename does work. You just have to remember to be in the correct directory before you do the e command.

Thanks for the help.