Author Topic: gcc output in build window on XP  (Read 4778 times)

Barak

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
gcc output in build window on XP
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:50 am »
Hi all,

we are using a custom gcc for a project that compiles fine thru eclipse, but when I attempt to compile thru slickedit none of the warnings/error messages appear on the build window.

It shows the name of the file but that is all, for example:

C:\Development\Nexus\hybrid\usip_hal_tester>"C:\PROGRA~1\SLICKE~1\win\vsbuild" rebuild "C:\Development\Nexus\Nexus.vpw" "C:\Development\Nexus\hybrid\usip_hal_tester\hybridTester.vpj" -signal 9009
---------- Rebuild Project: 'hybrid\usip_hal_tester\hybridTester.vpj' - 'Debug' ---------- VSLICKERRORPATH="C:\Development\Nexus\hybrid\usip_hal_tester"
sensors.c
*** Errors occurred during this build ***

But it won't show what the errors are. There is another developer sitting next to me with (I only just started at the company) and they have the exact same version of slickedit/gcc and the actual project file is common (stored in a repository) but the will get all the warnings and errors on the build output screen - with the ability to click on the errors etc that I am unable to do.

The command line output looks like this:
ansi.c:12:2: invalid preprocessing directive #TEST

Any help would be much appreciated as I can see that it should work but have no idea how to make it work...

Cheers,
  Barak

thefrogger

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: gcc output in build window on XP
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:37:03 pm »
I had a similar problem with a custom tool that ended up being caused by incorrect EOL formatting. When the SE output window encounters a CR (0x0d) code that isn't followed by a LF (0x0a), it ends up blanking the entire line. (Giving the appearance of an empty build window, even though all the text was sent to it).

I suspect that this isn't your problem since it works for the other developer, but you can try capturing the gcc output outside of SE and then examine the text in hex mode to see if the EOLs are normal.

And apologies if this suggestion is too obvious, but have you verified that the "Capture Output" is checked in the project settings? Are you using the same project files?

--
John

Barak

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:06:32 am »
Thanks for taking the time to help out.

I ran the commands thru cygwin's command prompt and viewed the output in a hex mode and the only thing I can think of is that cygwin is making the output into Unix style line endings (only LF) and not DOS (CR, LF) - could that be causing it?
Don't quite know how gcc/cygwin would have ever worked in SE then - doesn't cygwin always use unix EOL formatting?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
It is true that there is an option in the Build tool window that will erase lines if it gets a CR without the LF.  It should have been disabled on a default install, but you might want to double-check the setting.  In 14.0.x, it is located in the Options > Editing > General > CR w/o LF erases line in build window.

thefrogger

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »
Barak,

Unix LF-only shouldn't cause any problems for the build window. If you have one machine that works, and one that doesn't, the best bet is probably to investigate what is different between the two environments. Perhaps either the project settings, or the SE configuration file. (You can try backing up your settings, and copying over the ones from the other developer).

Lee,

Thanks for the note. For the record, my experience was with SE v12 before the option.

magpie

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »
This could be the same issue you get when trying to run interactive things like ftp in the build window. The prompt doesn't appear. I'm on MacOS, but similar problems happen in Windows.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:35:40 pm »
I've have also seen some issues where output isn't displayed in Build window because stdout never gets flushed by whatever process is running.  I know I've seen that issue with 16-bit console apps on Windows XP/Vista 32-bit. 

Barak

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:16:03 am »
I think I may have found the solution to my problem.
It seems that I didn't have C:\cygwin\bin and C:\usip-hde\sde\bin (where my custom gcc lives) in my windows PATH variable.
I added them to my environment variables and was able to compile my project using the windows command line and a makefile.
I went back to Slickedit, restarted it to use the new PATH variable and now I receive the output in the build window as the other developer does!
Now all I have to deal with is the fact that creating the elf/s19 files are different when compiling thru eclipse or thru slickedit...
But I'm getting closer!

Barak