Author Topic: Where do the "commit set" error messages go?  (Read 3393 times)

Duhhh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Where do the "commit set" error messages go?
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »
I was using SVN with SE 13.0.2.0, and I created a commit set. When I went to commit it, I saw a brief flash of text in the "output" window, and then the commit set moved from "current" to "past". When I checked with SVN, it hadn't committed. I tried again - flash of text, then done. So I did the commit using SVN command line and saw that I had a file conflict.

I'm guessing the flash of text is the error message, but since it doesn't stick around, I couldn't verify. Is there someplace where the error messages are stored so I can look at them later? I'd also like to change that feature so that it doesn't move the commit set out of "current" if it had an error. I'll let you know if I find a way to do that.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Where do the "commit set" error messages go?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Can you clarify about "but since it doesn't stick around"?
  • Do you mean the toolbar got shown, and then hidden?  If so, you should be able to activate the Output toolbar and see output from the previous command.
  • Do you mean the toolbar is still visible, but got cleared?  If so, when did it get cleared?  Does the SVN integration run multiple commands in sequence to do a commit?  Maybe the version control integration is clearing the Output toolbar in between those commands, and could be taught to clear only at the beginning of a new sequence of commands.
  • Do you mean something else?

Duhhh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I'll pick #2. The output window is visible before I do the commit. When I start the commit, I see a very fast flash of text in the output window, but it disappears before I can even see what's there.

Does SVN run multiple commands? Well, there are multiple things to do in a commit, so I would guess so, but the whole operation is atomic, so once any of them fail, it stops (and un-does anything that was successful). There should be only one error message.

Even when I do a successful commit, I don't see a "success" message, so I don't think the entire commit set function supports any kind of messaging - the flash I see in the output box is probably a fluke.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
I don't know, but the option setting in the attached PNG screenshot might be relevant.  Check and make sure it is "false".