Author Topic: Keyword/etc coloring slows mouse scroll to crawl/freeze.  (Read 2569 times)

mikeulus

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Keyword/etc coloring slows mouse scroll to crawl/freeze.
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:25:13 pm »
I am having an issue when scrolling the mouse wheel down or up and a section of that code has not yet been colored by the keyword coloring "engine".  The code window will freeze until it finished coloring the code, then allow me to continue on with my scroll. (imagine me having to scroll through a file with multiple thousand lines of code multiple scrolls will cause a freeze multiple times throughout my journey to the bottom of the file).   I noticed that when using the scrollbar this does not happen because it doesn't initiate the coloring engine until after I let go of the scrollbar. 

Is there a way I can set a timeout to not initiate the coloring engine until It doesn't see me scrolling for X amount of seconds?  This would probably fix the mouse wheel freezing problem.  Or even allow me to set a key combination to initiate the coloring myself.

SlickEdit Version 14.0.0.7
Licensed number of users: Single user
Build Date: March 25, 2009
Emulation: CUA
OS Version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.2 (Tikanga)
Kernel Level: 2.6.18-92.el5
Build Version: #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:16:12 EDT 2008
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Hotfixes:
/home/blahblah/.slickedit/14.0.0/hotfixes/hotfix_se1400_cumulative.zip (Revision: 10)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Keyword/etc coloring slows mouse scroll to crawl/freeze.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »
First, be sure you have the latest version of SlickEdit, v14.0.1.2. You can keep the previous version installed, which is a good precaution until you are sure the new version is contains no unwanted changes.

There are two key values you can use to tune the performance of Symbol Coloring. They are located on Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging.

Update after (ms) idle sets the delay before Symbol Coloring begins.
Timeout after (ms) sets the amount of time Symbol Coloring will run.

Based on your description, you might try a slightly larger value for the first one.

The default Symbol Coloring scheme shipped with SlickEdit is meant as an example of the kinds of things you can do. You should use a simpler scheme that highlights only what you really need to see. That will ensure no time is wasted analyzing symbol types you're not interested in. You can change the scheme at Tools > Options > Appearance > Symbol Coloring.

If performance is still a problem, you can turn Symbol Coloring off and just use basic color coding. You can do that at Tools > Options > Languages > [your language] > View. You can then turn it on for a particular document using the View main menu entry, View > Symbol Coloring.

You can toggle Symbol Coloring on and off using the symbol-coloring-toggle command.