Author Topic: Linux questions  (Read 5314 times)

Tree

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Linux questions
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:22:21 pm »
I'm a long-time slickedit user, new linux slickedit user. Using version 14.0.1.2. Couple questions:

- whenever I switch away from slickedit and then back, or when certain slickedit popup windows close, the ui is unresponsive, and the cpu is pegged for about 10 seconds. What is this, and how do I fix it?

- In Windows, something like control-alt-shift f1 or f2 would break slick-c processing and produce a stack trace. Obviously, on linux those keys are used for console switching and don't work. Is there an equivalent?

TIA

Tree

• Community Member
Re: Linux questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:39:01 pm »
One more thing... the icons look like they're at the wrong color depth, but I'm *fairly* sure that's not the case.

Tree

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »
screenshot of the weird icons attached.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:02 am »
Using the forums Search feature and looking for "icons linux" finds this thread with details.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 329
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:46:29 pm »
- In Windows, something like control-alt-shift f1 or f2 would break slick-c processing and produce a stack trace. Obviously, on linux those keys are used for console switching and don't work. Is there an equivalent?

Try looking in the help for emulations -> tables, then look for the section on keybindings for slickedit macros.  In the Windows help file, all emulations have Ctrl-alt-shift-F2.  There's also Ctrl-alt-shift-F9 (undocumented).

Tree

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:58:24 pm »
Thanks for the icon link.

The emulation table lists
"Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2
   Halt Slick-C macro that is executing. Halt Slick-C macro that is executing. Use this to terminate infinite loops."

I can't find that keybinding in the "Key Bindings" options, however. As previously stated, that particular key combination is already taken on linux, so I'll need to rebind it.

What is the name of the Command to rebind?

Thanks!

Tree

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:28 pm »
The emulation table for windows also lists this key combination, and the key combination is not present in the keybindings dialog, either.

Searching for it by entering the keyboard combination has the effect of "breaking" the dialog!

Control-Alt-Shift-F9 kinda works on linux. It does change terminals, but it also breaks the macro. The stack trace is available when I return to X. I'll try to use this to diagnose the CPU usage problem.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F2 and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F9 are (unfortunately) hard-wired into the Slick-C interpreter, so they aren't available for rebinding.  For reference, F2 is for halting normal command operations in the interpreter, and F9 is for halting timer callbacks (idle time tasks like autosave checks, tool window refreshes, symbol coloring, etc).  I'll file the issue in our feature tracker to see if what we can do to make that customizable.

If you are trying to diagnose any specific SlickEdit performance issues, there is built-in Slick-C profiler.  Using the SlickEdit command-line, you can enable and show using these commands:

profile on  -- begin profiling
profile off  -- end profiling
profile show -- show profiling results
profile save -- save current results

Send or post the profiling results and we can better diagnose any performance problems.

bunbun

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:32 pm »
3 years later, and Ctrl-Shift-Alt F2 still seems to be hardwired into the interpreter and therefore useless for linux users. This means then when something goes wrong, we have to kill and restart the editor...
Have any workarounds been found since?