Author Topic: Bookmark window too wide  (Read 3785 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
Bookmark window too wide
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »
When I select Search|Set Bookmark I get a 'Bookmarks' dialog which is much larger than my screen so I can't see the buttons on the right. In fact, it's so wide I can't see where the white background of the text areas stop and the grey of the dialog background starts! Of course, the dialog is also fixed size so I can't put it right even if I move it left until I can get to the right edge.

My screen is 1280 wide and my SE window (non-maxed) is very nearly that (a few pixels smaller). There is already a bookmark which has this (sorry about the necessary obfuscation):

Code: [Select]
Alarm/TAlarmCallTcpServerThread::SynchAddDataToControl():694__D:\Xxxxx\source\xxxxxx\xxxxx.pas___694_{______________________ViewerStatus[xxxxxxxx].CameraMask_:=_$0F_;}
I guess that's something to do with it, but the dialog shouldn't ever be wider than my screen, IMO.

However, that's my secondary monitor and my primary is 1680 wide, which is enough to show the full width of the dialog. Maybe SE is seeing the dimensions of that? If it is, I think it's wrong because the dialog should either pop up on the screen (not a preferred option) or use the dimensions of the screen that it's displayed on.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: Bookmark window too wide
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »
The size of the dialog seems to be based on the info in the bookmarks it's trying to list, but it doesn't seem to set an appropriate upper limit.

I certainly agree with the problem, but I'm not sure what the fix should be. It seems like we have 3 different dialogs depending on whether you pick "Search > Bookmarks > Set Bokmark", "... > Go to Bookmark", or "... > Bookmark tool window".

I would like to see these dialogs replaced with just one, the Bookmarks tool window. To do that, it would need a text field at the top for filtering and entering a new bookmark. Take a look at the 3 dialogs and let me know if you think it would work to just add these mods to the Bookmarks tool window.

Do you typically give your bookmarks names? I assume that's why you're picking "... > Set Bookmark" instead of using the context menu and selecting "Toggle Bookmark".

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »
Yeah, after posting that I tried 'Bookmarks...' (Ctrl-Shft-N) and that's fine (albeit pops up on the wrong monitor). I would probably have used that instead if it hadn't slipped under my radar.

Do you typically give your bookmarks names?

To be honest, I rarely use bookmarks at all. They are one of those things like, for instance, annotations that just didn't cut it when I tried 'em and since then I've ignored them as not being appropriate and, hence, missed any development of them. When I first tried them (bookmarks) I wanted to give 'em a name or description but could never get that to work sensibly, so then after that I leave them as the default line string and then never go back to them because it's meaningless to me when I look at the list.

I assume that's why you're picking "... > Set Bookmark" instead of using the context menu and selecting "Toggle Bookmark".

Not at all. I tend not to set temporary bookmarks so the right click think isn't much use to me. This particular time, I need to remember a specific line in one of 8 identical blocks of code in a 15K line file and 'bookmark' popped into my mind. So off to the search menu and 'set bookmark' seemed an appropriate named thing to click :)

[Later...]
Prompted by this I decided to give 'em a decent whirl and name the bookmark I just put in as something appropriate. So, bookmark toolbar, right click the bookmark... er, nothing. Can delete, go to or add a new one but not rename. OK, try adding a new one and instead of the default line string I put "Some weird bookmark". I then get a popup to say I can't have spaces. Now I remember why I rarely use bookmarks...

If annotations worked properly I'd try those instead.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »
Great feedback. I have filed Change Requests to allow rename and names with spaces. Hopefully we'll be able to tackle that in SlickEdit 2010 along with the grand unification of the bookmark dialogs.

I share your disappointment with the way Code Annotations limped in. I think they're working pretty well now, though there are likely still some issues with sharing. You might try the personal annotations again. I'd be very interested in hearing about any issues you are still having with them.

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:30 pm »
Brilliant, thanks.

The personal annotations are fine, but they don't lend themselves to projects. As far as I'm aware the only issue is concatenation of the project and working directory paths.

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1994.0

If it weren't for that I think they'd be just fine. Thinking about it, I still can't imagine why SE is looking in the project directory for source files when it knows perfectly well that they're in the working directory (and it certainly knows how to get to that)!

If it's an issue with relative paths (i.e. having the working directory ../ from the project directory, for instance) then surely all one needs to do is look at the working directory path. If it starts with a drive reference or path separator then it is an absolute path and should be used as-is, otherwise you tack the project directory on the front. How hard is that?

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:51:50 pm »
It's been a while, so my recollection may be a bit off, but we made Project and Workspace annotations use relative paths so that they could be shared. This assumes that everyone on the team uses the same folder hierarchy from some point downward. We couldn't use full paths since it is common for people to put their development folder in different locations. Personal annotations were designed not to be shared, so they can use full paths.

I'll certainly pass along your suggestion and we'll see if we can make this work better. I was the original proponent for this feature, and I still believe it has a great deal of utility. We just need to make sure that the sharing works properly and that the type management is more robust.

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
ok, thanks