Author Topic: Cursor Positioning bug?  (Read 4346 times)

murali

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Cursor Positioning bug?
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »
I am using SE 2009 14.0.0.7.

I have this weird problem which pops up once in a while and is driving me nuts.

In the editor I am using a C File, and for example if this is the current line..

int hello_wo|rld()

where the cursor is at 'r' in world. If I type, the letters appear after d. There seems to be some syntax highlighting bug and happens only on some lines and not on all of them. It is as if, the cursor is placed 3 letters ahead of the actual current column.

Any idea if someone has seen this problem? any possible workaround? I have even restarted SE, machine etc.

Also have searched around in the forum, and didn't see anything that closely resembles this issue.

thanks,
Murali

Barak

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Cursor Positioning bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »
No real idea - I had a problem with my upgrade recently on slickedit which I fixed by uninstalling and deleting the slickedit config directory in my docs, then re-installing. Maybe that could help.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:16 AM »
Try upgrading to 14.0.2 and see if you still get the problem.  If you still get the problem, export all your configuration options using tools -> options -> export/import.  This creates a .zip file - not necessarily a standard zip file.  Create a new virgin configuration folder by starting slick with the -sc switch  i.e. vs.exe +new -sc c:\some-temp-folder.  Then import your exported configuration options and see if you still get the problem.

If you decide to install 14.0.2, create a brand new folder if possible, just in case there's a problem in your existing installation folder.

If you still get the problem you could try creating another new configuration folder and selectively importing some of your existing configuration options.

Or you could just turn symbol coloring off maybe, or try to find how to reproduce the problem consistently.  Another thing to try is, with slick closed, backup your configuration folder, delete vslick.sta (or .stu), start slick.

Graeme

murali

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »
Thanks all for helping me with suggestions. I tried reinstalling the SE (Ours is a company wide license (~1000s) so we dont get upgrades that quickly propagated) and that seems to be working.

Now when I open the file I was working with I noticed that the spaces had different values (instead of 0x20 they had A0 U +00A0 in the status bar. So looks like the encoding got messed up somehow. I didn't use any cross platform software or open this in any other editor/sw. All I did was compile my code with a C compiler which is unlikely to mess the encoding. Is there something in SE that can switch the encoding automatically for some reason? That might explain why the cursor was positioned 2-3 chars in front of the actual place where the chars I typed were inserted.

thanks again,
Murali