Author Topic: Please fix !!  (Read 3725 times)

mcconne

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Please fix !!
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:28:22 am »
Maybe I'm not being persistent enough but I really need to get this fixed and it's starting to really upset me as I now no way of splitting lines from the ISPF prefix area. Please reference the following messages:

Tim Kemp

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 91
Re: Please fix !!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:08:34 am »
This is a community support forum.  SlickEdit employees do often show up here and offer useful suggestions, but if you need a response from them you should open a support case.  Getting rude here will only make other users unhappy with you.

We have several very knowledgeable, non-employee members and some of them might be able to give you advice, but the best way to get people to give you free advice is to ask nicely.

Thank you and have a wonderful week.   ;D

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 460
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:26:44 pm »

I just re-tested the TS command in ISPF mode, and it appears to be working correctly.  Could you give a few more details of exactly what you are doing, keystroke by keystroke?

Another quick solution is to use Shift+Enter to split lines.  That's much faster.

mcconne

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »
Hi again Dennis, here is the scoop, the whole scoop, and nothing but the scoop....

Firstly, I'm immensely grateful for your previous fix you made to prevent SE from hanging (when I used TS in the prefix area without moving the cursor away from the prefix area) since I'm no longer losing data constantly.

The problem is that I still have some filetypes for which the TS function does not work, and is very annoying since I have no other easy way of splitting the line(s). Please note that when the TS function does not work for a particular filetype then Shift+Enter does not work either, which is again very frustrating. I have no idea why not.

So, I'm grateful that I'm no longer losing data, but it's still annoying as it interrupts my train-of-thought while programming, and I live inside of and do everything in SlickEdit. Here are the filetypes that TS IS fully working for:

• .xml
  • .properties
  • .policy
  • .sql
  • .xsd
  • .jacl
  • .java

Unfortunately, these are the filetypes for which TS IS NOT working for me -- there are probably others I just don't have time to check every filetype on my system:

• .txt
  • .log
  • .bat
  • .html

Coincidentally, as I was testing these various filetypes I noticed something else interesting about the ISPF prefix area. I have my colors setup so that "Inserted Line", "Modified Line", "Modified Whitespace", and "No Save Line" will turn to yellow when I insert a new line or modify a current line. It's a wonderful function actually!! Again though this is not working in all filetypes -- I have no idea why not either. Of the filetypes above these are the filetypes that do not color the prefix area correctly (again there may be others but I can't check all filetypes on my system):

• .xsd
  • .sql

Thanks much if you can look at this problem. I'm a huge SlickEdit fan and have been using it for years and years, but I'm just getting a little frustrated. I wonder sometimes if there is just too much configuration possible in SlickEdit. I know I'd love to have a version of SlickEdit that only supports the ISPF emulation -- why would anyone use another emulation mode anyway ??  ;D

Thanks much !!

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 460
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »
OK, that helped to know that the problem was in files that did not have a language-specific handler for the Enter key.  I have put together some fixes, and will incorporate them into a future revision of the 14.0.2 hot fix.  Thanks again for the report.

mcconne

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »
Great !! Thanks again Dennis