Author Topic: (SOLVED)Copy/Paste under OS X doesn't always work properly.  (Read 6404 times)

broofus

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I just installed SlickEdit 14.0.2.2 on Mac OS X Version 10.5.7 and have found that if I highlight text using the keyboard (ie. holding shift and moving cursor with the arrow keys) that the shortcut <command>-<c> or going through the menus Edit->Copy do not work properly.  Only if I right click and select copy from the context menu does it work.

I've also found that if I select the text using the mouse that all 3 way of copying seem to work fine.  Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:46:07 pm by broofus »

broofus

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: (SOLVED)Copy/Paste under OS X doesn't always work properly.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:04 pm »
I needed to make a setting change in X11 Preferences and disable "Enable key equivalents under X11"

magpie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:12:50 am »
Are you on Leopard 10.5.7 ? X11 changed with that upgrade eg the font rendering got a lot better, but it seems to have broken my copy and paste. I've tried your tip, but it makes no difference.
The system and slickedit clipboards are now completely independant!

joeshred

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:58:37 am »
I am having the same problem, with a new Macbook Pro, OS X Leopard 10.5.8, Slick Edit 14.0.2.2, with all hotfixes applied.  I have unchecked the X11 Input setting, and still cannot cut/paste into our out of Slick Edit.

Steve

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »
I too had problems with the pasteboard on Leopard. The build of X11/Xquartz that ships in Snow Leopard has a dedicated tab in the preferences pane for pastboard interop settings, and so far the pasteboard is working well.
But not everybody wants to play in the Snow, so I did a little browsing, and it appears that although the pasteboard settings are not exposed in Leopard, they are still available by writing to the plist file. It also seems that upgrading to Xquartz 2.3.x solves some issues on Leopard, but may require re-installation after major Apple updates.
A couple references: http://superuser.com/questions/17474/sharing-the-mac-os-x-clipboard-with-the-internal-x-server
http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/X11/index.html#three

I'm re-installing Leopard on another partition to see if I can reproduce the pasteboard failure, and if setting the plist settings brings it back.

joeshred

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:40:26 pm »
Matthew,

Thanks so much!  Editing the plist file as described in the article at http://superuser.com/questions/17474/sharing-the-mac-os-x-clipboard-with-the-internal-x-server worked perfectly.

Thanks again,
Steve

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
I had some mixed results doing the same thing, but it *mostly* works. Details in my reply on http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2989.0

(Boy, wish we had a "Merge Thread" function on this board..)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:01:19 pm by Matthew »

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:15 pm »
Just be warned.. There's issues with that solution..

I happen to use line-copy and line-paste frequent in my Brief emulation (numpad plus/minus).. The X clipboard stuff that gets enabled with those settings eats some of the data that Slick uses to know the type of copy is it.. So if you go to insert a line, it'll insert from the cursor position, instead of beginning of line..

This causes me all sorts of headaches, where I end up having to toggle on/off those settings regularly...

(just another whine about a non-native OSX version :) I've been patiently waiting for years, and probably will continue to do so, since no other editor I've found on OSX does Brief..)...

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »
I went to the XQuartz page, and downloaded the X11-Locales-2.3.3.2 package, and installed it on my Leopard installation (XQuartz 2.1.6). The version still reports as 2.1.6, but the pasteboard settings are now in the preferences pane, and I'm not seeing any of the strangeness I reported in my earlier post (settings being nuked, needing to turn Enable Key Equivalents to true)

XQuartz page: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases (scroll down to the 10.5.7 section)
The locales package download URL is : http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-Locales-2.3.3.2.dmg

After installing this, I was able to uncheck the "Enable Key Equivalents", and now Cmd+C/Cmd+V now work just as well as they do in Snow Leopard.

os2bird

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »
Just be warned.. There's issues with that solution..

I happen to use line-copy and line-paste frequent in my Brief emulation (numpad plus/minus).. The X clipboard stuff that gets enabled with those settings eats some of the data that Slick uses to know the type of copy is it.. So if you go to insert a line, it'll insert from the cursor position, instead of beginning of line..

This causes me all sorts of headaches, where I end up having to toggle on/off those settings regularly...

(just another whine about a non-native OSX version :) I've been patiently waiting for years, and probably will continue to do so, since no other editor I've found on OSX does Brief..)...

Thanks for the workaround! The broken smart paste has been going on my nerves ever since I started using snow leopard.

Thanks again,
 Knut.

PS. I second your whine about a Cocoa based slickedit version.