Author Topic: Syntax coloring not working properly in PHP?  (Read 5846 times)

Aaron Wallentine

Syntax coloring not working properly in PHP?
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »
Hi there,

Using SlickEdit 14.0.2.2 trial on Windows XP SP 3, and trying to change some of the default syntax colorings.  I'm primarily working with PHP at the moment, and many of the changes I'm making do not seem to be affecting the code I'm working on.

Specifically, I'm trying to change color for function labels (Options -> Appearance -> Colors -> General -> Function) ... I'm using the "Chalkboard" scheme, which uses bold white for those, and I'm trying to change it to cyan, and then changing block comments to be green (from cyan).  Also changing modified line color and block matching (for brace highlighting) seems to have no effect.  I'm not seeing anything at all on modified lines;  brace highlighting works, but still in the default (purple) color, instead of the red I set it to.

Am I doing something wrong? Do coloring schemes have to be setup per language?  Does PHP somehow not share in the highlighting rules everything else does?

Confused.

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron Wallentine

Re: Syntax coloring not working properly in PHP?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
Very strange --- for some reason, unknown to me, it magically started working after I was working on my project for a while.

I noticed it right after I did a "replace all" on the file I was working on, actually I chose "preview all" and for some reason, after that, all the changes I had made since yesterday to my syntax highlighting settings were finally applied.  It makes no sense to me, but I'm glad it's working now.  Changes I make now are seeming to apply as well.

Weird.

Before, I was clicking "apply" in the options menu, but to no effect.  Somehow doing the "Preview All" in the "Replace All" dialog seemed to flip some crazy bit in there.  Or so it appears to me.

Aaron Wallentine

Re: Syntax coloring not working properly in PHP?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
This keeps on getting weirder.

So the weird thing is, it only works on the one file I was in.  I opened another php file, and it was back to default formatting.  I did a "replace all" by doing the "preview all" command, and then it turned on.  OK.  So I try on another file.  Back to default formatting. Tried the "replace all" trick again ... no dice.

What the heck?  It's like there's something going on where the lexer/colorer is only reformatting itself properly under some arcane, hard-to-reproduce internal conditions.

Weird.

I'm giving up on SlickEdit for now, too much weirdness for the day.  Looks like a cool editor with lots of nice features, but customizing coloring is just not working for me and causing too much confusion.