Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: Add an option to hide the argument declarations in symbol names  (Read 4185 times)

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
The SE always display the full argument declarations in symbol names, make the Defs tree and the context combo very hard to read.
I tried to patch the proctree.e to remove the argument declarations in the Defs tree and you can see the patched one is much more clear than thr original one, and find something in a glance is very easy.

This problem exists in Refs/Preview/Find Symbol/Context... I hope SE could provide an global option to show the function names without argument declarations.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
Sometimes the arguments are important (for example in C++ when there are 3 different constructors, or when there are different overloads).

I'd rather have an option to make the arguments a different color (like gray).
I can imagine some folks might prefer the symbol name to be boldface.

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
Sometimes the arguments are important (for example in C++ when there are 3 different constructors, or when there are different overloads).

I'd rather have an option to make the arguments a different color (like gray).
I can imagine some folks might prefer the symbol name to be boldface.
I think hiding the arguments is much more easier than change the color or font style. Because it might be achieved by simply changing the symbol name returned to the SlickC macros from low-level context tagging API.

Or the option could be language-independent. So you can hide the arguments in C but show them in C++.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
No bold there please - IMHO it'd increase the width of the entries too much. HS2

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
I wouldn't personally want it to be boldface.
I was trying to show empathy for other usage patterns outside my own.  :)

I still favor the colored approach, as an option, despite it being slightly more involved (requiring lower level changes in the editor).  It could be done in an extensible way that allows greater flexibility in various controls.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 17
  • SE 24.0.2.0 x64 hotfix 12, Windows 10 x64 ver2004
I wouldn't personally want it to be boldface.
I was trying to show empathy for other usage patterns outside my own.  :)

I still favor the colored approach, as an option, despite it being slightly more involved (requiring lower level changes in the editor).  It could be done in an extensible way that allows greater flexibility in various controls.

Or, a slightly more CPU-intensive option, have an option that expands the function arguments when the mouse pointer stays on the function name for longer than X milliseconds (configurable, of course, like everything else--why stop at 1000 configurable options in the editor? Come on, slickedit devs, you can do it!  ::) )