Author Topic: "C/C++ " Tag Files: How should I configure this?  (Read 11016 times)

achen

"C/C++ " Tag Files: How should I configure this?
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
I have three different C compilers in my machine. After I configure Tools --> Tag Files..., all three compilers' compiler specific header information all appear under "C/C++" Tag Files. This is not what I was hoping for. How can I configure the tag files setting so that each project or each workspace only relates to one group of tag files? Right now if I right click, for example a system function or a predefined macro, and choose "Go to Definition of xxxx", since all three compilers are visible and each compiler has the same system call or predefined macro, I'll end of having to choose which source or header file I want to open. Can someone help me straight this up? Thanks.

Alan

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Re: "C/C++ " Tag Files: How should I configure this?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »
See if this thread helps.

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=4759.0

Good luck
Les

achen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
Thanks for the link. However, the guy in that post just said "Never mind, I figured it out, and that is a fantastic feature!" Well, I am such a newbie and I have no idea what he's talking about.

I am sure a lot of you guys have more than one C compiler installed. How do you tell SE to use compiler A's tag file for project A and compiler B's tag file for project B since they are all under "C/C++ Tag Files" category? I have read the help file so many times and can't seem to figure out what I am missing here.

Best Regards,

Alan

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:03:08 AM »
Choose Project|Properties from the menu.
See attached screenshot below for where in the Properties dialog to set the compiler for the project.

pvonkaenel

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Thanks for the link. However, the guy in that post just said "Never mind, I figured it out, and that is a fantastic feature!" Well, I am such a newbie and I have no idea what he's talking about.

I am sure a lot of you guys have more than one C compiler installed. How do you tell SE to use compiler A's tag file for project A and compiler B's tag file for project B since they are all under "C/C++ Tag Files" category? I have read the help file so many times and can't seem to figure out what I am missing here.

Best Regards,

Alan

Select the [ Tools -> Tag Files ... ] menu to bring up all the available tags.  Then press the "Auto Tag ..." button for tagging compiler headers.  Under "Create tag file for C++ compiler libraries", press the "Configure ..." Button.  Now you can "Add" new compilers which each have their own set of built-in tag files.  Finally you select the compiler on a per project bases - I think chrisant's screen shot shows where to get to that.

Peter

achen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
Peter and Chrisant, thanks for the help.

I have two more questions:

1. After SE finishes scanning all the .h files for a specific compiler, some of the files or the entire sub folders don't appear on the right side of screen. I do have "Recursive" button checked. Does this mean that SE is unable to parse those the header files? If I check Generate References, then it appears that SE goes through all the parsing process but nothing shows up on the right side of screen at all. So, do I need to enable Generate References?

2. For individual projects, when I try to set up "C/C++ Compiler Properties", I don't know how to choose the Header File under Compiler Configuration. If I click "...", it brings me to the vsparser folder and it has a bunch of .h files there. So which one do I choose?

Best Regards,

Alan

achen

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I think I found the root cause of all my problems - Under Tools-->Options-->File Extension Manager, the 'h' (for header file) was not on the list of extensions. I don't know how that happened, but after I added 'h' to the list and associated it with C/C++, the context tagging came up perfectly.  :)

Best Regards,

Alan