Author Topic: Menu's stop working in V11?  (Read 12503 times)

mgweeks

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Menu's stop working in V11?
« on: October 03, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »
When I switched to V11, I started getting an occasional problem with menus. Every once in a while, the menus just stop working. For example, I can press the right mouse button, the menu will display but moving the mouse button over the menu will not highlight that menu item. I can not activate any of the menu items either. The only way I have found to resolve this is to exit out of VS and restart it again. Annoying to say the least. I have tried figuring out a sequence of events that causes this to happen and have not had any luck. It may happen a couple of times in a day or it might be a week or two between occurances.

I had reported this to support and got some modified macro files but they did not fix the problem. I first saw it back in 11.0 and hoped that later releases might fix it but to no avail. I just ran into it again yesterday. Has anyone else has seen this problem and, even better, resolved it?

I am running the Ubuntu 6.06 version of Linux and my system information is as follows:

SlickEdit Version 11.0.2

Serial number: VLX818891-1

Technical Support Phone: 1 919.473.0100
Technical Support Email: support@slickedit.com
Contact Product Support: click here
View Maintenance Details: click here

Build Date: August 25, 2006
Emulation: vsnet-keys

Kernel Level: 2.6.15-27-386
Build Version: #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:51:59 UTC 2006
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation

Installation Directory: /opt/slickedit/
Configuration Directory: /home/mweeks/.slickedit/11.0.2/
Configuration Drive Usage: 211633MB / 240362MB
Spill File: /tmp/$slk.mweeks.12247
Spill File Directory Drive Usage: 41853MB / 76280MB

mgweeks

• Community Member
Re: Menu's stop working in V11?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
Sorry to reply to my own posting but I have additional information. The functionality that I described above applies to context specific menus invoked via the right-click mouse button. The main menus do not high-light like they should but I can still invoke the menu item by clicking on it. Bizarre.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:56:57 PM »
Sorry to reply to my own posting but I have additional information. The functionality that I described above applies to context specific menus invoked via the right-click mouse button. The main menus do not high-light like they should but I can still invoke the menu item by clicking on it. Bizarre.
This worked correctly under Ubuntu before you upgraded to 11?

mgweeks

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »
Well, its been quite a while but I'm pretty sure that I didn't start seeing this until I switched to 11.0.

mgweeks

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »
Sorry, I looked back in my emails with support and it definately did not start happening until the beta versions of 11.0. I have since totally removed slickedit several times and rebuilt all of my ~/.slickedit directories and it is still happening. It's just so sporadic that it's very challenging to try and debug.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 01:21:51 PM »
Do you have the editor installed on any linuxes besides Ubuntu?  If so does it happen there?

mgweeks

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:35:27 PM »
No, I only have my development environment set up on Ubuntu. I've asked around the office and no one else has seen this problem. That's why I posted to this group to see if anyone else had seen this problem. Right know I don't have anyone to compare systems with.

Willie

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
I, too have noticed this problem, starting with v11.  I'm currently running v12.0.3 and am still seeing the issue. I ran v11 on Fedora Core 6 and am running v12 on FC7.  When initially starting SlickEdit, I can right-click and bring up a context sensitive menu, select items and see results.  For some unknown reason, after a period of use, when the context sensitive menu appears, the menu items aren't highlighted when I let the cursor hover over them, and selecting any of the items produces no action. The menu remains in place and goes away only by clicking in another area of the screen. 

I realize this thread has been inactive for some time.  If I don't see a timely reply, I'll post a new message.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
I think some work may have been done on this, but the person I need to talk to is out until next week.  I will update you then.

timur

• Hero Points: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
I have a similar problem.  I'm using 11.0.2 on RHEL 3 (yes, I know it's really old), and sometimes after I select a menu (not a context menu) via the mouse or keyboard, Slickedit will freeze for about 4-5 seconds.  It's completely random when it does happen.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
I still cannot reproduce this.  I am mostly testing on FC8.  Does anybody have this narrowed down to a set of steps?

timur

• Hero Points: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
I think the problem I have might be because my home directory is on an NFS share.

gcrowder

• New Community Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
I have the exact problem described in the original post.  Was there ever a resolution for this?  I am running V13 (with hotfixes applied) on Ubuntu 8.04.

shague

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Any idea if this has been fixed or a workaround provided?

I am using V14. I right clicked a function name and tried to do a definition look up. The symbol was not found in the tag file and then SlickEdit locked up with the working indicator.

I then entered the ctrl-alt-shift-f2 and f3 to get back. Slickedit came back, but would lock up again when I clicked on the window.

So, I killed the process. Restarted SlickEdit. And now the right-click menus will not allow any selection.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »
@shague: This looks like a different issue than above. Are you still not able to select anything from a SlickEdit context menu?