Author Topic: SlickEdit thinks file is modified when it is not  (Read 3271 times)

jonfec

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
SlickEdit thinks file is modified when it is not
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:13 PM »
Hello -
Several developers at my site report various issues related to SlickEdit thinking a file is modified when it is not. Sometimes this manifests itself in  SlickEdit popping up dialog boxes saying that the file is a new version and asking if we want to replace the existing newer file, which is the first attachment. After a while of not responding to the first question a "Reload Modified Files" dialog box shows up, which I have included as attachment 2.

Here is the explanation I got from a developer:

I'm having some annoying issues with SlickEdit I was wondering if you could help me with.  I saw this in v13 and just upgraded to v14 and see the same thing.

When I save a file I sometimes get a popup saying that the file is a new version and asking if I want to replace the existing newer file.  This always happens if I save a file and then save it again right away without doing anything in between and it occasionally happens when I save the first time after making edits or switching windows.

Also, when I switch windows and then come back to Slick I often get a popup indicating the file has been modified and asking if I want to reload it. I know it hasn't been modified by another program or another user.

Do you have any thoughts on why the tool keeps thinking files have been modified that haven't been?

Another way this problem manifests itself is by triggering rebuilds in ClearCase (clearmake) when nothing has been modified which is especially despised by developers.

I haven't been able to find information on this community site regarding these types of problems but more than a few developers here report similar problems. We do use ClearCase in most instances but not all. Primarily dynamic views as opposed to snapshot views. Most times the developer is running SE on a WinPC and mounting a Solaris-based filesystem (maybe via Samba or NFS?)

I checked the date/time on both the fileserver machine and the PC and they seem to be in sync (at least very close).
Has anyone else seen these types of issues or have any suspicions what may be causing it? Let me know if you need additional information.

Many thanks and best regards,
Jon Fechner

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: SlickEdit thinks file is modified when it is not
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
Hi.  Just off the top of my head, I'd guess that there is a sync issue between your desktop and the unix file server.  That's a guess, but most issues I have seen regarding file sync always seem to be between Windows machines and *nix machines. 

So, what you might consider is turning off the auto-reload.  Under Tools-> Options got to "File Options -> Load" (or just search for "auto reload" as I did) and set "Suppress prompt unless modified" to True.  That might do it for you.  If not (such as if you you're using SCM with exclusive checkout) you might just turn auto-reload off completely.  It's in the same region.

HTH
Jim