Author Topic: intermittent auto end tags  (Read 1370 times)

chuckj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
intermittent auto end tags
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:32:21 am »
I use SlickEdit to edit XML-type files, including HTML. When it works, I really appreciate the feature that automatically inserts an end tag when I start typing "</".  However, I am frustrated now because, when editing some of my HTML and XSL files, SlickEdit will sometimes insert the end tag, but more often it just ignores the "</", forcing me to completely type the end tag.

Even when entering text into an empty .htm file, for example, typing "<html></", SlickEdit often does not insert the closing end tag.  And, although I miss the feature when entering short HTML tags, I am more frustrated with the loss of function when editing XSL and XML files, where long element names are more common.

I would assume that this feature would be triggered by the file extension alone, but in a previous version of SlickEdit, it seemed that some invisible irregularity could cause this (end tag insertion) to stop working.  By invisible, I mean that I might have accidentally inserted a non-displayable character at the end of a line.  Now that it happens in an empty file, I am stumped: I don't know how to get it working consistently.

What I'm looking for is some advice on how to keep this feature working, or more precisely, what characteristics of a file stop it from working.

Thanks for reading this,
Chuck Jungmann

David_O

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: intermittent auto end tags
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 02:08:48 pm »
We'll take a look into this.  If you have any more information about exactly when or under what conditions '</' fails (or is there just no pattern that you can detect), please let us know.  It will help us track down the problem.  Also, please let me know which version of SlickEdit you are using and on what platform.

chuckj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: intermittent auto end tags
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »
I am using SE version 14.0.2.2 (brief emulation) on Linux (Ubuntu 9.04).  I upgraded computers over the weekend, so the OS and SE are fresh installs on an empty drive.

While this morning I still found some files for which the automatic close tag worked, it doesn't work on any of them now (or 5 minutes ago).

It just occurred to me that I have been running SE for a couple of days without closing the application, so I closed and opened it and now the close tags are working again!  If this fixes my problems, I consider closing and reopening SE occasionally to be a very small inconvenience.

By the way, what is this feature called?  I have searched the help files without finding any mention of this very useful feature.

Thank you for your quick reply,
Chuck Jungmann