Author Topic: FlexBuilder3 and MXML files/designer  (Read 6084 times)

brebey

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
FlexBuilder3 and MXML files/designer
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
I've installed SECore3.4 for FlexBuilder3, and I'm a bit confused:  if I set SlickEdit to be the editor for MXML files, I no longer get the Designer and Source tabs;  I only get the source code as though the MXML files was just another text file.

The whole point of FlexBuilder3 is the designer.  Without the Designer, FlexBuilder3 would have no purpose - it would just be a really lousy text editor.  MXML files are where almost everything is done in FB3.  If SECore can't work within the Design/Edit motif of FB3, it's almost useless to have.

Am I missing something?  Do I have something set up wrong?  Is there some way that I'm unaware of to switch between the Designer and SECore's text editor?

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: FlexBuilder3 and MXML files/designer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
You can switch between the MXML editor and the SlickEdit editor if you right-click on the file in any Eclipse explorer view (like Flex Navigator) and do Open With > MXML Editor.  We can provide a quicker way to do this in the future...we could add a menu shortcut on the SlickEdit editor's context menu (like we do for CDT/JDT/etc) or maybe make a command that you could bind to a key.

In order to have access to the designer tab within the SlickEdit editor we would either have to create our own version of the Flex Builder editor, or find a way to replace the source tab of the existing MXML Editor with the SlickEdit editor.  I have logged a feature request for doing this, but I can't comment on the feasibility yet.  I understand the utility of the designer tab...it is a great feature.  Sorry for the confusion.

- Ryan