Author Topic: system verilog mode for the slick edit core eclipse plugin  (Read 9268 times)

lom561

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
system verilog mode for the slick edit core eclipse plugin
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
I noticed that inside eclipse, the outline and hierarchy panels are blank.  Is this normal for verilog and system verilog support?  I was expecting to see a list of the module hierarchy in the "Hierarchy" panel or the class hierarchy for system verilog.  Or is that not supported at present. ???

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: system verilog mode for the slick edit core eclipse plugin
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »
The Outline view should definitely be showing you tagging information for your verilog/system verilog file.  See the pic attached.  If you are not seeing any information showing up in this window, something is wrong.  This post has some general information about what to investigate if you aren't seeing tagging information in the Outline view: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=5259.0 .  Let me know if this helps, or if you still are not seeing anything.

Our plug-in does not integrate with the Hierarchy view (if you are talking about Window > Show View > Hierarchy), so that will not show you anything when you have a SlickEdit editor open.  Hopefully the Outline view will satisfy you, once it's working :).

- Ryan

lom561

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I retagged the workspace.  My verilog files did populate the Outline view. My System Verilog files still do not.

I have attached a small test case for a system verilog file that exhibits this behavior.  I am using the 3.4 version of the plugin.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
If you are doing verilog and system verilog I would highly recommend upgrading to Core 3.5: system verilog support was a Core 3.5 addition.  Verilog had support in 3.4 but the tagging was redone for Core 3.5.  Attached is a picture of what you would see in the Outline view for this file with Core 3.5.

- Ryan

lom561

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
Ok, I will try to upgrade.  Thanks for the help.

lom561

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
I upgraded and the outline view is now populated.  However, it does not work quite as I would have expected.
In the example I attached in a previous post, the file contains 3 "modules".  If I place each module in a separate source file, and then look at the outline, I do not see the hierarchy for the design.   I only see the hiearchy for the design if all of the modules are defined in a single file.  Is that the normal behavior? 

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
Yes, that's the normal behavior.  The Outline view is only for elements in the current file.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of a hierarchy for the design, but the Symbols view (Window > Show View > Other > SlickEdit > Symbols) will allow you to browse all tags for all files in your workspace...though it is not connected with the active editor.

It might be the case that you are looking for something we don't currently have, in which case I would like to hear more...and would be more than willing to file a feature request for our next release.

- Ryan

lom561

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
I see that with the ctrl-. and ctrl-, and ctrl-] I can navigate between elements that exist in different files.

I need to learn the editor's features better before I make any feature requests.  I also discovered that the links did not work because I needed to build a tags file for the OVM class library used in my testbenches.  I basically added tag information to the System verilog tags file that you supply by adding a tree containing the OVM src files.