Author Topic: Install Error - eclipse 3.5 - ubuntu 9.10  (Read 30538 times)

brad

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Install Error - eclipse 3.5 - ubuntu 9.10
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
I received the following error while try to install slick edit core into eclipse 3.5 running on ubuntu 9.10

An error occurred while installing the items
  session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null --> [R]com.slickedit.linux.libs 3.5.0, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.ChmodAction).
  The action chmod failed - file /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit does not exist.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Install Error - eclipse 3.5 - ubuntu 9.10
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
I assume that your Ubuntu 9.10 installation is 64 bit?  You will need to be running a 32 bit JVM as well as a 32 bit Eclipse in order to run SlickEdit Core.  Our native libraries will not load in the 64 bit JVM  :(.  You will need 32 bit libraries installed on your system in order to run 32 bit Eclipse/JVM.

Now, as far as the installation error you are getting...there are a couple things we could try.  Did you happen to have the 3.5.0 beta installed and then uninstalled on this computer?  There were specific instructions that we had to compile for Linux beta customers, partly because of this problem.  Let me know if this is the case...and I can quickly get you in the right direction.

If that is not the case, are you sure that you are running Eclipse as a user with permission to install into /usr/lib?  If Eclipse couldn't write to that directory, the chmod action would certainly fail.

During the installation, when the error is thrown, are there any com.slickedit.* directories created in the eclipse/plugins directory?  Is there a com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit directory there?  I'm trying to figure out if the installation is not working, but nothing is throwing an error until the chmod action is executed, or if it is actually the chmod action that is failing.

I tested an installation of Core 3.5.0 using the update site on our Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit install, and it worked for me...but if you want, we can take the update site out of the equation and I can get you an offline installer.  Just PM me an e-mail address.  I would really like to figure out what is going wrong with this error.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

brad

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
Yesterday I was running 64 bit ubuntu but due to some other incompatibilities I have switched to 32 bit. 

I started eclipse as root and then slickedit core installed correctly. 

Thanks for the help.

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »
Hi,

I am getting the same error as brad mentioned.

An error occurred while installing the items
  session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null --> [R]com.slickedit.linux.libs 3.5.0, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.ChmodAction).
  The action chmod failed - file /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit does not exist.

Mine is a fresh installation of Eclipse (installed through Synaptic package manager) and the SlickEdit plugin in my Ubuntu 9.10 machine.

I have attached the error stack trace along with this post. However the stack trace doesnt tell anything.  :( :'(

If I double-click the error log in Eclipse, it just says "An exception stack trace is not available.".

-----------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 4 2010-01-06 19:41:37.909
!MESSAGE An error occurred while installing the items
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2010-01-06 19:41:37.909
!MESSAGE session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null --> [R]com.slickedit.linux.libs 3.5.0, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.ChmodAction).
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.eclipse 4 0 2010-01-06 19:41:37.910
!MESSAGE The action chmod failed - file /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit does not exist.
-----------------------------------

As the error says, /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit does not exist. However, I am seeing that the required files are present in "HOME_FOLDER/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/".

Please help me in finding out where I am going wrong and how to fix it. I am currently evaluating SlickEdit core for Eclipse for my company. Also, let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:38:31 PM by sparklinghari »

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Hey Hariprasad,

I'm not sure why there are Eclipse plug-in files present in a subdirectory of your home directory, but you are trying to install the SlickEdit plug-in into an Eclipse installation in /usr/lib, right?  The error is saying that the chmod action on one of our directories, /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit, has failed...this seems like exactly the same problem as above.

Are you running Eclipse as a user that has permission to write to /usr/lib?  If not, you won't be able to install into that directory...Brad ran as root and was able to install.  Let me know...

Also note that our plug-in is not 64-bit, and as stated above, requires 32-bit libraries.  We hope to have a 64-bit version of the plug-in available in the future.

You will need to be running a 32 bit JVM as well as a 32 bit Eclipse in order to run SlickEdit Core.  Our native libraries will not load in the 64 bit JVM.  You will need 32 bit libraries installed on your system in order to run 32 bit Eclipse/JVM.

Hope this helps.

- Ryan

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for inputs. I found that it is an access rights issue. So, I have un-installed SlickEdit plugin & Eclipse completely, removed /usr/lib/eclipse folder, logged in as root, installed both Eclipse (through Synaptic Package Manager) and SlickEdit plugin.

The issue I mentioned earlier is gone now. However, there is a new issue. When I select SlickEdit preferences (or any SlickEdit related menu items) in Eclipse, I get an error saying "The chosen operation is not currently available".

When I run Eclipse with -vstrace, I get the following message:

root@harij-ubuntu:~# eclipse -vstrace
(eclipse:3018): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
com.slickedit.core: Found exePath as: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin
com.slickedit.core: Update File Path is: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/.upddat
com.slickedit.core: Starting Plugin
com.slickedit.core: Trying to load libraries.
com.slickedit.core: Loading: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsenv.so
com.slickedit.core: Loading: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so
com.slickedit.core: Could not load library: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so: undefined symbol: _Z5vmainiPPc

I am not able to find anything related to this error while googling.

I have verified that both Eclipse & Java are for 32 bit. If required, I have also attached stack trace.

Any pointers on how to fix this is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
Hmm...ok I'm not exactly sure what the problem is yet, but there is one thing I've found, related to the warning you are seeing from Eclipse about glib.  After some investigation, there were many applications seeing this warning on Ubuntu 9.10 (some resulting in crashes, some harmless) because there was an "unstable" version of libglib2.0-0 released not too long ago (2.22.3-0ubuntu1).  Downgrading to the previous version (2.22.2-0ubuntu1) of both libglib2.0-0 and libglib2.0-data is supposed to fix it.

To do this, you can use the Synaptic Package Manager.  For each of the packages you want to downgrade, mark it, choose "Force version..." from "Package" on the main menu, and select the previous version.  Then it should be done.

Let me know if you can do this, and whether or not it solves the problem.

- Ryan

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Hi Ryan,

I downgraded libglib2.0-0 and libglib2.0-data to 2.2.22-0ubuntu1 version. But the issue still exists. I just wanted to give you a quick update.

Will do some more research and let you know if I get any break.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
Ok...is that glib warning gone?  Or has nothing changed at all?  FWIW I was running successfully on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit here yesterday...on this system we have the 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 versions of these packages, I thought that might be it.

Sorry this is such a pain :(...I will also keep investigating.

- Ryan

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
Hi Ryan,

I think the glib warning is gone now. But nothing changed. Mine is Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit machine and I ensured that 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 versions of glib packages.

I did a complete removal of SlickEdit plugin and Eclipse once again and installed as root only. I am not sure what makes to through the error (and also print libvsapi.so library name twice).

com.slickedit.core: Loading: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so
com.slickedit.core: Could not load library: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so: /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.5.0/slickedit/bin/libvsapi.so: undefined symbol: _Z5vmainiPPc

I completely dont have any idea where this installation go wrong and It is a bit important for me at this time  :'(. Please help.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »
I am working on getting an ubuntu 9.10 32 bit installation set up here (we only had 64 bit), and then hopefully I should be able to replicate exactly what you are doing and where you are trying to install eclipse/slickedit on the same system.

Sometimes these things take a little bit of time, I'm sorry for the frustration...hopefully we can get this figured out soon.  A couple other things to make sure I know exactly how you are set up:

• You are using an Eclipse 3.5.1 (or 3.5.0) which you downloaded from eclipse.org?  What package did you download?  For example, CDT has a prepackaged installation, there is one for Java users, etc.  If you could tell me the name of the package that you are installing that would help.
  • The Java you are using is from Sun, right?  It is not gcj or anything?  gcj will not work.  Is it Java 6?
  • How are you launching Eclipse?  Are you launching from a terminal window or from a Desktop shortcut?  Have you tried both methods?
  • To clarify, you have installed (unzipped) Eclipse into /usr/lib, and used the Eclipse install wizard to install Core from our update site, all as root (sudo), right?  And then you are running Eclipse again as root, or are you running Eclipse as a normal user?  Have you tried both.

Again, thank you for your patience  :-[.

- Ryan

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
Hi Ryan,

Its fine and I am ready to wait for the resolution (but I want one ;D).

The details regarding the setup:

1. I am using Eclipse 3.5.1. I didnt download directly from Eclipse.org and install. I used Package Synaptic Manager. Find the list of eclipse related packages that are getting installed by default once I select eclipse.
            Package                          Installed Version
            eclipse                            3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-rcp                      3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-rcp-common      3.1.2-1ubuntu6
            eclipse-platform             3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-platform-data    3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-pde                     3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-plugin-cvs          3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            eclipse-jdt                      3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            libequinox-osgi-java      3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            libswt-gtk-3.5-java         3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3
            libswt-gtk-3.5-jni            3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3

2. I think it is a plain flavor of Eclipse (classic version)
3. Yes, i am using sun java only and it is Java 5
4. I am launching Eclipse from Desktop shortcut mostly. For vstrace, I use terminal window.
5. As I said, I used Synaptic Package Manager to install Eclipse and yes, the installation present in /usr/lib/eclipse folder only. I did both the Eclipse and SlickEdit installations as root. I ran Eclipse both as root and as normal user and observe the issue.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »
That's great...thanks for all the info.  One thing to definitely do is to upgrade to Java 6 (if that is a possibility for you).  Core 3.5.0 only runs with Java 6 or later.  Although I don't think that is what is preventing our native library from loading, sometimes errors present themselves differently, and this is something that will need to be done anyway.  Let me know.

Another thing to try, and this is a little more annoying, but can you try downloading a classic Eclipse package from eclipse.org and installing Core into that?  Sometimes these Eclipse installations that are included on a Linux distro (or otherwise distributed through a package manage for the distro) aren't complete.  I remember we had a problem with an Eclipse that was included with some Fedora Core version a while back, that would not work with our plug-in.

A couple of things to try while I keep at it...

- Ryan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
Ok...update.  On our 32 bit Ubuntu installation, I installed Eclipse 3.5.1 via Synaptic and got the same versions that you have.  I installed and ran it successfully as sudo, with the Java 6 version of OpenJDK, which was included on this system when we upgraded to 9.10.

I tried to force a revert to the Java 5 version of this via Synaptic, but it wouldn't let me force that version.  I downloaded Java 5 directly from Sun, and as expected the plug-in wouldn't load, but it was not giving me the error that you are seeing.

Let me know if upgrading to Java 6 fixes the problem.  Also, FWIW, it doesn't appear like there should be any problem with any of this related to the 2.22.3-0ubuntu1 version of libglib2.0-0, so you can go ahead and use Synaptic to upgrade that package if you want.

- Ryan

EDIT:  Oh and it doesn't appear to be the version of Eclipse from Synaptic, either...so you don't have to bother trying that, if you haven't.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:37:30 PM by Ryan »

sparklinghari

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the update and Sorry for my late update.

I cannot upgrade my java to java 6 as I want my machine to stick to java 5 due to Android Source's dependency.

However, just to confirm if this is the problem, I will try it and update you.

Thanks and regards,
Hariprasad