Author Topic: spill file  (Read 2632 times)

motherhubbard

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
spill file
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:24 am »
Hi,

I have a problem with slickedit, it crashes on startup with a popup dialog bemoaning the size of the "spill file" (being too big).

We had a system crash overnight, slickedit was open at the time.

I'm not editing that many files, maybe 15, and none are that big. Yet the $slk. file grows to over 2GB before the crash. I can't change the settings for this file as I can't interact with any options/menus before the crash.

Is there any way of clearing this out, or resetting something, or just working out why the file grows this big? Presumably something is corrupted.

ta.

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 30
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: spill file
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50:29 am »
Try starting with a clean config.  You can rename you Slickedit Config ("My Slickedit Config" in my documents in Windows) or invoke Slick from a command line using "vs -sc config_path".  Should get you to a happy place with Slick.

Once you do that, and you get Slick back the way you work, you might export your settings (back them up) to save you next time this happens.  Tools -> Options -> Export/Import Options.

Good luck.
Jim

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:21:36 pm »
You could try deleting (or moving) the vrestore.slk file in your config directory. This tells SlickEdit, what files were open, provides the command history, and stores other state information. You will lose far less by deleting this file than by starting with a clean config. This should get SlickEdit to open without attempting to open any files/workspaces. Which should avoid the problem with the runaway spill file.

If that doesn't work, you're down to running with a new, default config.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 225
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:07 am »
It would also be worth deleting vslick.sta (vslick.stu in linux) from the configuration folder if deleting vrestore.slk doesn't help.  It seems that vrestore.slk doesn't get updated until you exit slick and the same goes for vslick.sta, so if the system crash resulted in slick partially shutting down, then either of those files could be the problem.  Deleting vslick.sta means your configuration gets restored using vusrdefs.e and some other files in your configuration folder.

Graeme

gmenhorn

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:36:36 am »
The same thing happens to me in SlickEdit 2010.  I have a Visual Studio 2010 project with a handful of files and I frequently have to delete the vslick.sta to get SlickEdit to startup at all.

SlickEdit Version 15.0.0.6

Serial number: WB937039
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\15\slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 07, 2010
Emulation: Vim

OS Version: 6.01.7600 
Memory: 51% Load, 2152MB/4182MB Physical, 386MB/2097MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1600 x 900

Project Type: vcproj
Language: .cpp (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\SlickEditV15.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,304638MB free)

--
George